xxviii PRINCE GEORGES COUNTY
(1702) and then (1707) Speaker of the House of Delegates. Later he served as a
member of the Council.
William Tannyhill (d. 1732) was a justice of Charles County Court prior to the
formation of Prince Georges. He and Colonel Addison were charged with paying
off the rangers in 1699. Presumably a planter, he appears as a vestryman of Pis-
cattoway Parish from 1694 through 1713.
David Small was a merchant, a factor for Jackson and Company, London mer-
chants, operated a sloop and may have been engaged in land transactions.
Robert Tyler was a member of the House of Delegates from 1704 through 1716.
Probably a planter, he apparently had some dealings or contacts with the Piscatto-
way Indians. He is listed as a vestryman in Queen Anne Parish, 1706-1733.
John Smith is probably the Smith who moved to Calvert County in 1700 and
became a member of the House of Delegates in 1701.
John Hawkins (d. 1705) having lived near the Piscattoway Fort for several years
and having some "small trade" with the tribe, was in 1697 one of the commissioners
to treat with the Piscattoways and Accokicks. He was also on the committee on
Indian matters subsequently created. In 1700 Hawkins and William Hutchison
were charged with obtaining the names of Piscattoway Indians returning to the
province. He appears as a vestryman of Piscattoway Parish.
Robert Wade (d. 1714) was a planter and captain of a troop of horse in Prince
Georges County. In 1698 he became a vestryman of Piscattoway Parish.
Samuel Magruder (c. 1661-1711) was a captain in the Prince Georges militia, a
member of the House of Delegates (1704-07), one of the commissioners to lay out
ports and towns, and a vestryman of St. Paul's Parish. Apparently married to a
daughter of Col. Ninian Beall, the largest land-owner in Prince Georges County,
Magruder left a large estate.
Thomas Sprigg, Jr., (c. 1670-1738) apparently was a major and then lieutenant
colonel in the Prince Georges County militia. Most likely a planter, he appears on
the committee for Indian affairs appointed by the governor in 1697, as one of the
"Gentlemen of the Grand Jury." From 1712 to 1715 he represented Prince Georges
in the House of Delegates. His father had been sheriff in Calvert County and chief
justice of the county court.
James Stoddart, apparently a planter on the East Branch of the Potomac, engaged
in some trading with the Indians, served as a vestryman for Piscattoway Parish for
a few years and was a member of the House of Delegates in 1714. The 1697 murder
by Indians of a negro of Stoddart's "against whom it is believed they had some
Grudge upon the Account of Trade" led in part to the withdrawal of the Piscatto-
ways to Virginia. He was appointed to resurvey the town of Annapolis in 1718.
The first attorneys admitted to practice in Prince Georges County were Joshua
Cecil and Thomas Hughes, who were sworn as attorneys on April 23, 1696. How-
ever, Cecil shortly thereafter became clerk of the court and except for the cases he
was then handling (which he continued to handle with the court's permission)
ceased to be active as an attorney until the August 1698 court when he was replaced
as clerk by Edward Willett.19 On June 22, 1696 William Bladen, William Stone,
John Meriton, Christopher Gregory, Richard Kilburn, Cleborn Lomax, Stephen
Blatchford and James Cranford all took their oaths and were admitted as attorneys.
Henry Bonner was admitted at the November 1696 court; Edward Batson at the
19. Infra 4, 63-64, 361.