clear space clear space clear space white space
A
 r c h i v e s   o f   M a r y l a n d   O n l i n e

PLEASE NOTE: The searchable text below was computer generated and may contain typographical errors. Numerical typos are particularly troubling. Click “View pdf” to see the original document.

  Maryland State Archives | Index | Help | Search
search for:
clear space
white space
Maryland Manual, 1994-95
Volume 186, Page 551   View pdf image
 Jump to  
  << PREVIOUS  NEXT >>
clear space clear space clear space white space

Maryland Manual 1994-1995

ORGANIZATIONAL STRUCTURE

BOARD OF REGENTS

George V. McGowan, Chairperson, 1997
............................ (301) 445-2701

Appointed by Governor with Senate advice & consent: Mary
Arabian, 1994; Earle Palmer Brown, 1994; Charles W.
Cole, Jr., 1994; Michael F. Seelman, student, 1994; Ilona
Modley Hogan, 1995; Dr. Albert N. Whiting, 1995;
Richard O. Berndt, 1996; Roger R. Blunt, 1996; Henry
R. Lord, 1996; Franklin P. Perdue, 1996; Ann R. Hull,
1997; Constance M. Unseld, 1997; Margaret Alton, 1998;
Benjamin L. Brown, 1998; Frank A. Gunther, Jr., 1998.

Ex officio: vacancy, Secretary of Agriculture

CHANCELLOR

Donald N. Langenberg, Ph.D., Chancellor & Chief
Executive Officer (
appointed by Board of Regents)
......................... (301) 445-1901

COUNCIL OF UNIVERSITY SYSTEM
PRESIDENTS
Chairperson: Thomas E. Bellavance, Ph.D.,
President, Salisbury State University
.................... (410) 543-6011

COUNCIL OF UNIVERSITY SYSTEM FACULTY
Chairperson: A. Franklin Parks, Ph.D.,
Frostburg State University
.................... (301) 689-4237

UNIVERSITY SYSTEM STUDENT COUNCIL
Chairperson: Matthew Conelius,
University of Baltimore . (410) 625-3099

ACADEMIC AFFAIRS

George L. Marx, Ph.D., Vice-Chancellor
for Academic Affairs ...
(301) 445-1992

ADMINISTRATION & FINANCE

Brenda N. Albright, Vice-Chancellor
for Administration & Finance
(301) 445-1925

ADVANCEMENT

John K. Martin, M.B.A., Vice-Chancellor
for Advancement. .........
(301) 445-1941

The University of Maryland System comprises
eleven campuses and four major research and service
components. The System's earliest unit was founded in
Baltimore in 1807 as the College of Medicine of Mary-
land (Chapter 53, Acts of 1807). In 1812, it enlarged
its professional curricula and changed its name to the
University of Maryland (Chapter 159, Acts of 1812).
In 1856, the Maryland State College of Agricul-
ture was founded, and in 1920 it merged with the
Baltimore professional schools to form the University
of Maryland with campuses at Baltimore (UMAB)
and College Ru-k (UMCP) (Chapter 480, Acts of
1920). The Baltimore County (UMBC) campus was
established in 1966. In 1970, the University of Mary-
land was organized into a five-campus system. At that
time, the Maryland State College in Princess Anne
(founded 1886) was restructured to form the Univer-
sity of Maryland Eastern Shore (UMES) and the
College of Special and Continuation Studies (founded
1947) became the University of Maryland University
College (UMUC).
The University of Maryland achieved land-grant
status in 1865 (UMCP) and 1890 (UMES) and
was designated a national sea grant college in 1982.

Independent Agencies /55I

As the components of the University of Maryland
were evolving, so too were the State's teacher's col-
leges. The earliest of these was privately founded in
1865 in Baltimore to train Negro teachers. It would
later become a State institution, move to Bowie and
assume the name Bowie State University. In 1866, the
first public teachers' college was created as the Mary-
land State Normal School, now Towson State Uni-
versity. State Normal School No. 2, now Frostburg
State University, followed in 1898. In 1900, the Bal-
timore City School Board laid the foundation for what
would later become Coppin State College. The first
normal school on the Eastern Shore opened in 1925
and now bears the name Salisbury State University. In
1963, the five former teachers' colleges were brought
together under the direction of a single governing
body, the Board of Trustees of the State Universities
and Colleges. In 1975, the University of Baltimore,
privately founded fifty years earlier, joined the cam-
puses governed by the Board. The University of Mary-
land System was created in 1988 through the merger
of campuses and components of the University of
Maryland with those formerly under the Board of
Trustees of the State Universities and Colleges (Chap-
ter 246, Acts of 1988).
Campuses of the University are located in Allegany
County at Frostburg (Frostburg State University);
Baltimore City (UMAB, UMBC, Coppin State Col-
lege, University of Baltimore); Baltimore County at
Towson (Towson State University); Prince George's
County at Bowie (Bowie State University) and Col-
lege Park (UMCP); Somerset County at Princess
Anne (UMES); and Wicomico County at Salisbury
(Salisbury State University). University College, from
its headquarters in the Center of Adult Education at
College Park, administers adult and continuing edu-
cation courses and programs at sites across Maryland
and in Europe and Asia. The University of Maryland
System is developing an academic and research center
at Shady Grove.
The University of Maryland System is governed by
the seventeen-member Board of Regents. The Board
may issue revenue bonds to finance the building of
dormitories and other student housing facilities. The
Board issues such bonds directly, with the payments
of principal and interest made from revenues realized
from the use of the building. With Senate advice and
consent, the Governor appoints sixteen of the Board's
members. Fifteen serve five-year terms and one, a
student member, is appointed for a one-year term. The
Secretary of Agriculture serves ex officio (Code Edu-
cation Article, sec. 12-102).
The University's System Administration (UMSA)
directs and coordinates the eleven-campus system.
Located in Adelphi, the Administration includes the
offices of the chancellor, the deputy chancellor, and six
vice-chancellors. The Administration also is responsi-
ble for the four major research and public service
components: the Agricultural Experiment Station;

 



 
clear space
clear space
white space

Please view image to verify text. To report an error, please contact us.
Maryland Manual, 1994-95
Volume 186, Page 551   View pdf image
 Jump to  
  << PREVIOUS  NEXT >>


This web site is presented for reference purposes under the doctrine of fair use. When this material is used, in whole or in part, proper citation and credit must be attributed to the Maryland State Archives. PLEASE NOTE: The site may contain material from other sources which may be under copyright. Rights assessment, and full originating source citation, is the responsibility of the user.


Tell Us What You Think About the Maryland State Archives Website!



An Archives of Maryland electronic publication.
For information contact mdlegal@mdarchives.state.md.us.

©Copyright  August 02, 2018
Maryland State Archives