clear space clear space clear space white space
A
 r c h i v e s   o f   M a r y l a n d   O n l i n e

PLEASE NOTE: The searchable text below was computer generated and may contain typographical errors. Numerical typos are particularly troubling. Click “View pdf” to see the original document.

  Maryland State Archives | Index | Help | Search
search for:
clear space
white space
Maryland Manual, 1994-95
Volume 186, Page 525   View pdf image
 Jump to  
  << PREVIOUS  NEXT >>
clear space clear space clear space white space

Maryland Manual 1994-1995

Lauderick Creek Training Site,
Edgewood Area, Aberdeen
Proving Ground ....... (410) 671-2811

HOWARD COUNTY
Ellicott City Armory ...... (410) 465-5004

KENT COUNTY
Chestertown Armory. ..... (410) 778-2366

MONTGOMERY COUNTY
Olney Military Reservation . (301) 869-5736
White Oak—George M. Gelston
Armory. ............. (301) 572-4864

PRINCE GEORGE'S COUNTY
Greenbelt Armory ........ (301) 220-7389

QUEEN ANNE'S COUNTY
Queen Anne's—Victor P. Gillespie
Armory. ............. (410) 820-2061

SOMERSET COUNTY
Crisfield—Maurice D. Tawes Armory
.................... (410) 968-0373

TALBOT COUNTY
Easton—Louis G. Smith Armory
.................... (410) 822-0313

WASHINGTON COUNTY
Hagerstown—Randolph Milholland
Armory. ............. (301) 791-4028
Highfield Armory ........ (301) 241-3114

WICOMICO COUNTY
Salisbury—Blair L. Crockett
Armory. ............. (410) 543-6704

MARYLAND AIR NATIONAL GUARD
(23.08.01.02)
FY1994 appropriation .............. $3,005,306
FY1994 authorized positions ................ 71
Brig. Gen. Donald B. Barshay, Assistant Adjutant
General for Air
(appointed by Governor)
......................... (410) 576-6055

CHIEF OF STAFF FOR AIR
Brig. Gen. Robert D. Cardwell, Jr.
...................... (410) 576-6056

135th TACTICAL AIRLIFT GROUP
Col. David A. Beasley

175th TACTICAL FIGHTER GROUP
Col. Bruce F. Tuxill

The Maryland Charter of 1632 empowered
Lord Baltimore to raise troops to put down insur-
rection or rebellion and subdue enemies of the
province. Since that time, the training, organiza-
tion, maintenance, and administration of the Mary-
land Militia have been an integral part of State
government. The present military establishment of
Maryland conforms to Title 32 of the U.S. Code
and regulations issued pursuant thereto, and to the
Militia Law of Maryland (Code 1957, Art. 65).
The office of Adjutant General was authorized
first in 1793 (Chapter 53, Acts of 1793). The
Adjutant General heads the Military Department
and exercises powers and duties under the Militia
Law of Maryland. The Military Department pre-
pares all State forms and records required for militia
use and the reports and returns required by the
federal government. Service records of all officers
and enlisted persons who have served or are serving

Independent Agencies /525

in the Maryland National Guard are maintained by
the Military Department as well.
The Adjutant General is responsible for the
budget of the Military Department and is the cus-
todian of all State and federal property used by the
organized militia. The Adjutant General maintains
all State-owned armories located in Maryland and
all other properties that may be occupied, pur-
chased, or leased by the Military Department. The
Adjutant General regulates the use of such facilities;
applications for their use should be made to the
Adjutant General. In addition, the Adjutant Gen-
eral is responsible for the administration, training,
and supply of approximately 9,500 National Guard
troops, including 1,519 full-time employees (253
State paid; 1,266 federally paid).
The Adjutant General is appointed by the Gov-
ernor with Senate advice and consent. The Assistant
Adjutant General for Army and the Assistant Adju-
tant General for Air are both appointed by the
Governor (Const., Art. IX, sec. 2).
The Military Department is responsible for the
Maryland State Guard, the Army National Guard of
Maryland, the Air National Guard of Maryland, and
the Maryland Emergency Management Agency.

MARYLAND EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT
AGENCY

David McMillion, Director

State Emergency Operations Center
2 Sudbrook Lane, East
Pikesville, MD 21208 (410) 486-4422

Formerly under the Department of Public Safety
and Correctional Services, the State Emergency Man-
agement and Civil Defense Agency was restructured
as the Maryland Emergency Management Agency in
1989 when it was made part of the Military Depart-
ment (Chapter 674, Acts of 1989). The Agency de-
rives its main purpose from the Federal Civil Defense
Act of 1950 (P.L. 920) as amended. The act provides
for a civil defense system to protect life and property
from attack and offer relief and assistance to people
struck by natural disasters.
Known as the Maryland Civil Defense Agency
from 1950 to 1970, the Agency, in its earliest years,
was concerned primarily with statewide nuclear
attack preparedness and related missions (Chapter
563, Acts of 1949). Later, responsibilities were
broadened to encompass disaster relief and emer-
gency resources management as well. Changes in
State law and the agency name reflected this shift:
Maryland Civil Defense and Emergency Planning
Agency (1970-74) and Maryland Civil Defense and
Disaster Preparedness Agency (1975-80). Duties
concerned floodplain management, flood insurance
initiatives, community preparedness programs for
weather emergencies, earthquake hazard reduction,

 



 
clear space
clear space
white space

Please view image to verify text. To report an error, please contact us.
Maryland Manual, 1994-95
Volume 186, Page 525   View pdf image
 Jump to  
  << PREVIOUS  NEXT >>


This web site is presented for reference purposes under the doctrine of fair use. When this material is used, in whole or in part, proper citation and credit must be attributed to the Maryland State Archives. PLEASE NOTE: The site may contain material from other sources which may be under copyright. Rights assessment, and full originating source citation, is the responsibility of the user.


Tell Us What You Think About the Maryland State Archives Website!



An Archives of Maryland electronic publication.
For information contact mdlegal@mdarchives.state.md.us.

©Copyright  August 02, 2018
Maryland State Archives