412 /Department of Natural Resources
John R. Griffin, Deputy Secretary
ADVISORY COUNCIL ON DISABILITIES ISSUES
Donna Reihl, Chairperson
Contact: John R. Griffin (410) 974-3042
The Advisory Council on Disabilities Issues was
formed by the Secretary of Natural Resources in
1985. The Council advises the Department on is-
sues related to the accessibility of departmental
facilities, programs, activities, and jobs to disabled
persons. Council members are appointed by the
Secretary of Natural Resources (Code Natural Re-
sources Article, sec. l-102(d)).
R. Thomas Thayer, Chairperson
Contact: Joyce M. Williams (410) 974-3987
In 1969, the Secretary of Natural Resources was
authorized to create an advisory board for the De-
partment (Chapter 154, Acts of 1969). Members
represent professional areas or fields of endeavor
with which the Department is concerned (Code
Natural Resources Article, sec. 1-105).
Carolyn D. Davis, Assistant Secretary for
James E. Mallow, Deputy Assistant Secretary
Tawes State Office Building
580 Taylor Ave.
Annapolis, MD 21401 (410) 974-2031
The Assistant Secretary for Management Serv-
ices is responsible for fiscal and supportive services,
human resource services, management information,
public communications, management analysis and
auditing, and licensing and watercraft registration
for the Department.
LICENSING & WATERCRAFT
Samina R. Cole, Director
Licensing and Watercraft Registration Service
issues State hunting, fishing and boating licenses
and collects certain excise taxes (Code Natural Re-
sources Article, secs. 4-601 through 4-1043; 8-701
through 8-740; 10-301 through 10-1108). The
Service operates regional service centers in Annapo-
lis, Bel Air, Centreville, Cumberland, Prince
Frederick, and Salisbury.
Maryland Manual 1994-1995
PUBLIC LANDS & FORESTRY
James W. Dunmyer, Assistant Secretary for
Public Lands & Forestry
Michael J. Nelson, Deputy Assistant Secretary
2012 Industrial Drive
Annapolis, MD 21401 (410) 974-3829
Public Lands and Forestry was organized in 1992.
The Assistant Secretary for Public Lands and Forestry
oversees six programs: State Forest and Park Service;
Greenways and Resources Planning; Program Open
Space; Operations; Engineering and Construction Serv-
ices; and Forestry Programs. The Assistant Secretary also
is responsible for the Maryland Environmental Trust, and
the Scenic and Wild Rivers Review Board.
The work of Public Lands and Forestry is aided
by several advisory committees, including Deep
Creek Lake Advisory and Review Committee; Gun-
powder Falls Local Advisory Board; St. Mary's
River State Park Citizens Advisory Committee; and
Helen Avalynne Tawes Garden Advisory Board.
DEEP CREEK LAKE ADVISORY & REVIEW
Edisel D. King, Chairperson
Contact: Paul Durham (301) 387-4111
The Committee advises the Secretary of Natural
Resources on matters relating to the Deep Creek Lake
Recreation Maintenance and Management Fund and
the Deep Creek Lake Management Program.
The Committee is composed of seven members.
They include the member of the House of Delegates
representing Legislative District 1A; the president of
the Deep Creek Lake Property Owners' Association
or designee; the president of the Deep Creek Lake
Business Association or designee; the chairperson of
the Garrett County Board of County Commissioners
or designee; and three persons appointed by the
Garrett County Board of County Commissioners
(Code Natural Resources Article, sec. 5-216).
MARYLAND ENVIRONMENTAL TRUST
Constance Lieder, Chairperson, 1997
Thomas D. Saunders, Director
100 Community Place, 1st floor
Crownsville, MD 21032—2023 (410) 514-7900
The Maryland Environmental Trust was formed in
1967 to conserve, improve, stimulate, and perpetuate
the aesthetic, natural, scenic and cultural aspects of the
Maryland environment (Chapter 648, Acts of 1967).
The Trust also promotes appreciation of the environ-
ment and continued interest in its care.
The Trust seeks donations of conservation ease-
ments to the State on certain lands to preserve the land
from development. By 1994, the Trust had secured
272 conservation easements on 41,237 acres.