BUSINESS & FINANCE
Orville S. Fowler, Jr. ........ 465-9611
Gerard B. McMahon, Jr. 662-4159
Mark S. Scwell............. 662-4159
Dr. Kenneth W. KziCt^Asnstant
SuperintcmUnt for Instruction . . 662-4159
Stanley C. Baker ........... 662-4159
Deborah P. Clark, fh.D.,Assist»nt
Principal ............ 662-4159
J. Wayne Sinclair, Assistant Principal
Mark A. Wait, Assistant Principal
Dr. Richard C. Steffan, ]t.,Assistltnt
Superintendent/Principal ...... 465-9611
Gertrude S. Galloway, Assistant Principal
INTERMEDIATE & TRANSITIONAL
John K. Snavlin, Assistant Principal
The Maryland School for the Deaf was estab-
lished in 1868 as a free public residential school for
deaf and hard-of-hearing children who reside in the
State (Chapter 247, Acts of 1867; Chapter 409,
Acts of 1868).
The Maryland Schools for die Deaf offer an
academic education similar to that of public
schools. The Schools also provide thorough in-
struction in communications skills, including
speech and speech reading, signs and finger spell-
ing, auditory training, and use of individual hearing
aids. In addition to the academic program, courses
of study in vocational education also are provided.
The Schools offer a broad athletic and physical
education program, as well as a wide range of social
and recreational activities. Vocational rehabilitation
services are available for all graduating students to
help secure employment, vocational or technical
training, or higher education. Information pertain-
ing to the program is available upon request.
Legislation in 1968 authorized a branch of the
Maryland School for the Deaf to be located near
the population center of the State (Chapter 462,
Acts of 1968). This branch, called Columbia Cam-
pus Maryland School for the Deaf, is administered
and operated as part of and subject to the Maryland
School for the Deaf. The first phase of the Columbia
Campus opened in September 1973 (Code Educa-
tion Article, sec. 8-304).
The Governor appoints the thirty members of
the Schools' Board of Visitors for indefinite terms.
DOMICILIARY CARE FACILITIES
Chairperson: RonaldM. Kreitner, Director of Planning
Vice-Chairperson: David E. Harmon, 1994
Appointed by Governor: Edith Gordine Blount; Sarah
R. Galloway; Howard N. Hall. Terms expire 1994.
Representative ofMd. Disability Law Center appointed
by Governor: Elizabeth Jones
Ex officio: Rosalie S. Abrams, Director on Aging;
Carolyn W. Colvin, Secretary of Human
Resources; Nelson J. Sabatini, Secretary of Health
& Mental Hygiene.
c/o Office of Planning
301 W Preston St.
Baltimore, MD 21201 225-4530
Annual Report to Governor & General Assembly due
The Domiciliary Care Facilities Board was
created by the Governor at the request of the
General Assembly in 1984 (Joint Resolution no.
23, Acts of 1984). In 1986, the Board was estab-
lished by law (Chapter 726, Acts of 1986).
The Board formulates and implements policy
and coordinates agency responsibility for im-
plementing policy and programs related to
domiciliary care. The Board also reviews and ap-
proves policies and regulations that govern
domiciliary care facilities and related programs.
Chaired by the Director of Planning, the Board
has nine members. Four are appointed to four-year
terms by the Governor and include a domiciliary
care facility provider, and three consumers. One
member, appointed by the Governor, represents the
Maryland Disability Law Center. Four serve ex
officio (Code 1957, Art. 41, sec. 10-601).
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Merle S. EUiott, Chairperson, 1991
Appointed by Governor with Senate advice & consent:
Jerry Lymas, 1991; Leonard R. Sachs, 1991;
Vernon C. Terry, 1991; H. Lee Boatwright III,
1992; Martha A. Smith, Ph.D., 1992; Mario F.
VillaSanta, 1992; Ronald L. Bowers, 1994; Irving
L. Kidwell, 1994; Walter H. Plosila, Ph.D., 1994.
Ex officio: J. Randall Evans, Secretary of Economic
& Employment Development; 0. James
Lighthizer, Secretary of Transportation.
Hans F. Mayer, Executive Director