OFFICE OF THE SECRETARY
The Secretary of General Services is chief execu-
tive officer of die Department. Appointed by the
Governor with Senate advice and consent, the
Secretary sets policy, promulgates rules and regula-
tions, and determines strategies to fulfill efficiently
and effectively the Department's mandate. The
Secretary is responsible for Department programs
and services, the budget of the Department, and the
budgets of boards, commissions, and offices under
the Department's jurisdiction.
At Board of Public Works meetings, the Secre-
tary presents the Department's portion of the
Board's agenda. The Secretary also serves on
numerous boards. The Governor's Mansion Trust
is chaired by the Secretary The Secretary also serves
as a member of the Interagency Committee on
School Construction, the Executive Management
Board for the State Multi-Service Centers, the Hall
of Records Commission, the Maryland Food Cen-
ter Authority, the State Commission on the Capital
City the State Use Industries Advisory Committee,
the Commission on Correctional Standards, and
the General Professional Services Selection Board.
In addition, the Secretary appoints the members of
the Board of Architectural Review, and the State
members of the War Memorial Commission.
Vacancy, Deputy Secretary
The Deputy Secretary advises the Secretary of
General Services, plans strategies, performs special
assignments, and shares responsibility with the
Secretary for management of the Department. .
PROCUREMENT REVIEW BOARD
Carl A. Damico, Assistant Secretary for Facilities
Robert J. Byrd, Assistant Secretary for Services &
The Procurement Review Board consists of the
Assistant Secretary for Facilities Management and
the Assistant Secretary for Services and Logistics.
They meet to review and approve procurement
transactions for which the Board of Public Works
has delegated approval authority to the Secretary
of General Services (COMAR Title 21).
STATE BOARD OF ARCHITECTURAL REVIEW
Van Fossen Schwab, Chairperson
Appointed by Governor upon recommendation of
Secretary of General Services & with Senate advice iQr
consent: Ronald W. Clayton; Alan R. Meyers; John
S. Palmer III; Stephen L. Parker; Antonio C.
Ramos; Edward L. Todd. Terms expire 1992.
Dale Strait, Coordinator
301 W Preston St., Room 1405
Baltimore, MD 21201 225-4335
The State Board of Architectural Review was
established in 1949 (Chapter 80, Acts of 1949).
The Board reviews architectural designs and draw-
ings for new State buildings or for reconstruction
or repair of existing State buildings and recom-
mends any changes necessary to make facilities func-
tional and practical.
The Board is composed of architects, and at least
one engineer, one landscape architect, and one ar-
chitect with expertise in building preservation. The
Board's seven members are appointed by the
Governor upon recommendation of the Secretary
of General Services and with Senate advice and
consent. Members are chosen from nominees of the
Baltimore Chapter, the Potomac Valley of Maryland
Chapter, and the Chesapeakc Bay Chapter of the
American Institute of Architects; the Maryland
Society of Professional Engineers; and the
Maryland Chapter of the American Society of
Landscape Architects. Members serve four-year
terms (Code State Finance and Procurement Ar-
ticle, sees. 4-701 through 4-704).
WAR MEMORIAL COMMISSION
John E. Brandau, Chairperson, 1991
Appointed by Secretary of General Services: W. Leroy
Maddox, 1991; Roscoe L. Burman, 1992; Meyer
Sokolow, 1993; Walter D. Hyle, Jr., 1994; W.
Russell Brown, 1995.
Appointed by Mayor of Baltimore: Robert B. Watts,
1991; John A. Jarosinsld, 1992; John A. Micklos,
1994; Ruth S. Levy, 1995.
Norris J. Walbert, Executive Secretary
War Memorial Building
Gay and Lesington Sts.
Baltimore, MD 21202 685-7530
The War Memorial Commission was created in
1924 (Chapter 537, Acts of 1924). The Commis-
sion has custody and supervision of the War
Memorial Building and the War Memorial Plaza,
which were erected in Baltimore City to honor
Marylanders who fought in World War I. Main-
tenance costs of this facility are shared equally by
the State and the City of Baltimore. The building is
open and available for meetings of veterans' groups