OFFICE OF THE SECRETARY
The Secretary of General Services is chief execu-
tive officer of the Department. Appointed by the
Governor with Senate advice and consent, the Sec-
retary sets policy, promulgates rules and regula-
tions, and determines strategies to fulfill efficiently
and effectively the Department's mandate. The Sec-
retary is responsible for Department programs and
services, the budget of the Department, and the
budgets of boards, commissions, and offices under
the Department's jurisdiction.
At Board of Public Works meetings, the Secre-
tary presents the Department's portion of the
Board's agenda. The Secretary also serves on nu-
merous boards. The Governor's Mansion Trust is
chaired by the Secretary The Secretary also serves
as a member of the Interagency Committee on
School Construction, the Executive Management
Board for the State Multi-Service Centers, the Hall
of Records Commission, the Maryland Food Cen-
ter Authority, the State Commission on the Capital
Cir# the State Use Industries Advisory Committee,
the Commission on Correctional Standards, and
the General Professional Services Selection Board.
In addition, the Secretary appoints the members of
the Board of Architectural Review, and the State
members of the War Memorial Commission.
STATE BOARD OF ARCHITECTURAL
Appointed by Secretary of General Services;
Ronald W. Clayton; Alan R. Meyers; John S.
Palmer III; Stephen L. Parker; Antonio C. Ramos;
Van Fossen Schwab; Edward L. Todd. Terms expire
Keith D. Kelley, Coordinator
301 W Preston St., Room 1405
Baltimore, MD 21201 225-4335
The State Board of Architectural Review was
established in 1949 (Chapter 80, Acts of 1949).
The Board reviews architectural designs and draw-
ings for new State buildings and recommends any
changes necessary to make facilities functional and
The Board is composed of seven members ap-
pointed by the Secretary of General Services from
lists of nominees submitted by the Baltimore Chap-
ter, the Potomac Valley of Maryland Chapter, and
the Chesapeake Bay Chapter of the American Insti-
tute of Architects. Members serve four-year terms
(Code State Finance and Procurement Article, secs.
4-701 through 4-704).
WAR MEMORIAL COMMISSION
Chairperson: John A. Micklos, 1989
Appointed by Secretary of General Services widi
Governor's approval: Charles A. Kreatchman,
1989; Norris J. Walbert, Jr., 1990; W. Leroy
Maddox, 1991; Roscoe Burman, 1992; Meyer
Appointed by Mayor of Baltimore: Ruth S. Levy,
1990; John E. Brandau, 1991; Robert B. Watts,
1991; John A. Jarosinski, 1992.
Edwin D. Gosnell, Sr., Executive Secretary
War Memorial Building
Gay and Lexington Sts.
Baltimore, MD 21202 685-7530
The War Memorial Commission was created in
1924 (Chapter 537, Acts of 1924). The Commis-
sion has custody and supervision of the War Memo-
rial Building and the War Memorial Plaza, which
were erected in Baltimore City to honor Maryland-
ers who fought in World War I. Maintenance costs
of this facility are shared equally by the State and
the City of Baltimore. The building is open and
available for meetings of veterans' groups and pa-
triotic societies, and for civic gatherings, provided
that no collection or donation is taken nor any
The Commission consists often members. Five
are appointed by the Secretary of General Services
with the approval of the Governor, and five are
appointed by the Mayor of Baltimore City Each
member serves a five-year term and must be a
Maryland war veteran (Code State Government
Article, secs. 9-801 through 9-807).
Jerome W. Klasmeier, Deputy Secretary
301 W Preston St.
Baltimore, MD 21201 225-4956