The Tri-County Council for Southern Mary-
land was formed on December 6, 1964, to initiate
and coordinate plans and projects for the devel-
opment of human and economic resources in
Calvert, Charles, and St. Mary's counties.
By an Executive Order issued by the Governor
on May 14, 1965, the Council was recognized as
the cooperative planning and development agency
in Southern Maryland. The Council was perma-
nently established by Chapter 586, Acts of 1966.
It became a corporate body by Chapter 573, Acts
of 1970. The Council's enabling legislation was
reenacted as State general legislation by Chapter
708, Acts of 1976. By Chapter 36, Acts of 1979,
the Council was empowered to reevaluate the
general development plan for the development of
|the region at least every four years following the
election of State and local officials.
The Council is composed of twenty-three vot-
ing members including the State senators and del-
egates representing Calvert, Charles, and St.
Mary's counties, three county commissioners
from each county, one member appointed by the
Southern Maryland Municipal Association, and
one member-at-large from each county. There are
eight non-voting members of the Council who
represent each County Planning Commission,
each County Economic Development Commis-
sion, the Department of State Planning, and the
Department of Economic and Community Devel-
opment (Code 1957, Art. 20).