clear space clear space clear space white space
 r c h i v e s   o f   M a r y l a n d   O n l i n e

PLEASE NOTE: The searchable text below was computer generated and may contain typographical errors. Numerical typos are particularly troubling. Click “View pdf” to see the original document.

  Maryland State Archives | Index | Help | Search
search for:
clear space
white space
Maryland Manual, 1945-46
Volume 161, Page 17   View pdf image (33K)
 Jump to  
clear space clear space clear space white space


Margaret P. White .... .... Annapolis
The Hall of Records Commission was created by Chapter 18, Acts
of 1935. It is an ex-officio body composed of the following seven
members: The Governor of Maryland, the Comptroller of the Treas-
ury, the Chief Judge of the Court of Appeals, the President of the
Johns Hopkins University, the President of the St. John's College,
the President of the Maryland Historical Society, and the President
of the Board of Trustees of the Peabody Institute.

The Commission supervises and controls the Hall of Records, and
it appoints the Archivist who is charged with the actual operations
of the agency. Every state, county, city, town or other public official
is authorized by Chapter 18, Acts of 1935 to deposit for preservation
in the Hall of Records any original papers, official books, records,
documents, files, newspapers, printed books or portraits not in cur-
rent use. In addition all records made in Maryland prior to April
28, 1788, the date of the adoption of the Constitution of the United
States by the State of Maryland, will be transferred to the Hall of
Records as soon as practicable after June 1, 1945. (Acts of 1945,
Chapter 248.)

In addition to the county records, the Hall of Records now has in its
vaults the non-current records of purely State agencies. All of these
records are available to the public without restriction except that they
cannot be removed from the building and researchers must abide by
such regulations as the Hall of Records Commission imposes for the
protection of the records.


Telephone: 4401

Name Postoffice
State Librarian:

Robert F. Leach, Jr. (Term expires 1947) .... — Baltimore
Custodian of Works of Reference:

Miss Frances B. Wells .. .... Annapolis
Law Librarian:

Nelson J. Molter ..... .. .... Severna Park
The State Librarian is appointed by the Governor, with the consent
of the Senate, to hold office during the term of the Governor (Con-
stitution, Art. 7, Sec. 3); the Custodian of Works of Reference is
appointed by the Governor, with the consent of the Senate, for a term
of two years or until the appointment of a successor. (Ch. 50, 1906);
The Law Librarian is appointed by the Library Committee to hold
office at the pleasure of said committee. (Ch. 413, 1939)

The Session Laws, House and Senate Journals, and the Maryland Re-
ports are distributed by the Librarian as published, in accordance with
Chapter 518 of the Laws of 1939. The remaining copies are stored in
the State Library and distributed under the direction of the Library

The State Library, which was created by Chapter 53 of the Laws of
1826, is located on the second floor of the Court of Appeals Building.
The Library has two distinct functions and objectives; the Law Li-
brary, which is considered the main function and which comprises
about seventy-five per cent of the total number of books, is primarily


clear space
clear space
white space

Please view image to verify text. To report an error, please contact us.
Maryland Manual, 1945-46
Volume 161, Page 17   View pdf image (33K)
 Jump to  

This web site is presented for reference purposes under the doctrine of fair use. When this material is used, in whole or in part, proper citation and credit must be attributed to the Maryland State Archives. PLEASE NOTE: The site may contain material from other sources which may be under copyright. Rights assessment, and full originating source citation, is the responsibility of the user.

Tell Us What You Think About the Maryland State Archives Website!

An Archives of Maryland electronic publication.
For information contact

©Copyright  August 02, 2018
Maryland State Archives