74 MARYLAND MANUAL
E. Allen Schilpp, Asst. Secretary. ................ . .. ... Baltimore
The Maryland Workshop for the Blind, which is located at 601
North Fulton Avenue, Baltimore, is a State institution incorporated
by an Act of the Legislature of 1908..Chapter 666.
The general supervision and control is vested in a Board of five
Trustees, three of whom are appointed by the Governor, by and with
the advice and consent of the Senate, and two are selected by the Board of
Directors of the Maryland School for the Blind.
The Board selects its Chairman and other officers from its own. mem-
bership and is empowered to employ a secretary and other necessary
employees and to fix their compensation.
The Workshop is conducted for the training, labor and manufac-
tures for all blind citizens of Maryland over eighteen years of age,
who can give satisfactory evidence of character and of their ability
to do the work required of them. All the profits arising from the
operation of the Workshop are used in furthering its usefulness.
It is the official commission appointed by the State for all matters
pertaining to the adult blind of the State of Maryland.
THE MINERS HOSPITAL
Frostburg, Maryland
Name Postoffice Term Expires
George O. Tarleton. ..... ....... ... ..Frostburg .............. ... ..... .... ... . .....1945
Dr. W. O. McLane, Jr....... ..... ... .... Frostburg......... ..... ...... .................................1945
Edward J. Ryan............... . ........Frostburg................................. ...................1947
Dr. Harry Teter.............. ....... Frostburg....... ..........................1947
William Jenkins.................. ... ... . Frostburg......... ......... ... ....... ...... ............1945
Edwin Winters.................. .... . Midland..............................................1945
Alex Barclay................ . . ... ....... Lonaconing........................ ..........1945
Board consists of four members appointed by the Governor, two
bi-ennially for a term of four years and three elected members to
serve a term of two years.
BOARD OF DIRECTORS OF HOSPITAL FOR CONSUMPTIVES OF
MARYLAND..(EUDOWOOD SANATORIUM)
Towson, Baltimore County
Judge Frank I. Duncan ............. ..... .Towson... ........................................ ...1949
Samuel Hoffberger................. ... ........Baltimore................ .........................1947
H. Courtenay Jenifer..... ... .. . ... ....Towson........ ........... ............ ...............1945
Philip S. Morgan................. .... .......Baltimore.......... .. .... . .......................1949
James Clarke Murphy....... .... .. . .....Baltimore.................. ............. ........ ....1945
Stewart D. Ridgely......................... ...Towson....... .......................... ............1947
Superintendent, Dr. William A. Bridges.
The Governor, with consent of Senate, appoints two bi-ennially for a
term of six years from first Monday in May. (Ch. 429, 1906.)
The Hospital for Consumptives of Maryland also known as Eudowood.
Sanatorium was established in 1894, opened for patients in 1896, and moved
to Towson in 1899. Most of the patients are free, only about 20% of the
maintenance being furnished by patients. Applications are made through
dispensaries, clinics and by any physician in good standing in the state. A
small Private Boom Department is maintained in which out of state patients.
are accepted.
|