290 MARYLAND MANUAL.
also one of the first to receive a military commission, having;
received a commission from Leonard Calvert on the third of
January, 1639, to raise a company to go against the nation
called the Maquantequants, a tribe of Indians who were com-
mitting sundry insolences upon the English inhabitants.
Nicholas Harvey died in 1641, leaving a wife and one
daughter, Frances, who married Capt. George Beckwith.
Augustine Herman, in his map made in 1670, shows the po-
sition of a town called Harveytown named for this Nicholas
Harvey, which was probably the second town laid out in the
Barbara Beckwith, the youngest daughter of George and
Frances, married Jacobus Seth in 1676. In 1684 Jacobus Seth
moved to Talbot County and purchased the property known as
Jacobus Seth died in 1694, and by his will bequeathed five
thousand pounds of tobacco to the five fathers to say masses
for the repose of his soul, which proves that he was a Catholic
Mr. Seth's first maternal ancestor was Thomas Impey, who-
was the first Clerk of the Court of Talbot County, serving from
the organization of the county, in 1660, until his death, in 1684,
when he was accidentally killed.
Thomas Impey resided on his estate in Bay Hundred Dis-
trict, called "Cromwell," which he purchased from one Richard
Cromwell, who had first taken patent for the said land.
There were three Seths in the Revolutionary War, Jacob and1
Charles, who served in the Fifth Maryland Regiment, and Wil-
liam, who went through the war in the "Armand Legion," hav-
ing enlisted in August, 1777, and being discharged March 23,
1783. At the time of his discharge the Legion was reduced to
a handful of men, he, as sergeant, being the ranking officer.
This was the only cavalry force that went into the Southern
campaign, and they fought regularly from Camden to York-
Mr. Joseph Bruff Seth in his early years attended public
school. In 1860 he went to a boarding school, but in 1861 he
was brought home on account of war and put under a private
tutor, Mr. Daniel Hahn. In 1865 he went with his uncle, Rob-
ert L. Seth, in the oyster and fruit packing business at Balti-
more. His uncle died in November of that year, and the settle-
ment of his business devolved upon Mr. Joseph Bruff Seth. He
then entered the law office of John M. Frazier, of Baltimore,
and was admitted to the bar in December, 1867. Mr. Frazier
died in 1870, and Mr. Seth, in company -with his brother, the
late T. Alexander Seth, and Harry E. Mann, conducted a law