278 MARYLAND MANUAL.
CHARLES COUNTY—Two Members.
BRUCE M. WILMER, Republican—Faulkner.
Mr. Wilmer was born in 1883, attended public school until
fourteen years of age, when he was engaged on his father's
farm until 1903. Took the short course in agriculture at Cor-
nell University of Ithaca, N. Y. Since then has been farming
independently. Is also engaged in the railroad timber business.
Has never had a political position before.
J. CARLISLE WILMER, Republican—La Plata.
He attended public and private schools in his native county
until 1897, when he took a special course of one year at a Naval
Academy Preparatory School in Annapolis. He entered Char-
lotte Hall Military Academy in September, 1898, and remained
there a year. Upon leaving Charlotte Hall he became private
secretary in the law office of his father, General L. Allison Wil-
mer, where he also read law. He remained with his father until
October, 1902, when lie matriculated at the Law School of the
University of Maryland, where he pursued his studies for some
months; but being advised by an oculist that the exacting re-
quirements of the study and practice of law would seriously in-
jure his eyesight, already defective, he abandoned these studies.
As a preparation for business life he took a course at a busi-
ness college in Baltimore, and in practical business he was for
a time the representative in Baltimore and Washington of a
New York architect, and later he has represented White & Com-
pany, flour and grain brokers, of New York and Baltimore, in
DORCHESTER COUNTY— Four Members.
JOHN W. HASTINGS, Democrat—Eldorado.
Mr. Hastings was born at East New Market, Dorchester
County, and in early childhood removed with his parents to
Federalsburg (then in Dorchester County, now in Caroline
County). He remained there but a short time, and then re-
moved to Harrison (near the now flourishing town of Hur-
lock), where he grew to manhood.
For a number of years in early life he was in command of
vessels trading in the Chesapeake and Delaware Bays.
In 1876 he engaged in farming, and has resided near Gal-
veston since that time. In 1886 he entered the Lighhouse Ser-
vice and remained until 1890. Served as Justice of the Peace
under Governors Brown and Smith.