clear space clear space clear space white space
 r c h i v e s   o f   M a r y l a n d   O n l i n e

PLEASE NOTE: The searchable text below was computer generated and may contain typographical errors. Numerical typos are particularly troubling. Click “View pdf” to see the original document.

  Maryland State Archives | Index | Help | Search
search for:
clear space
white space
Proceedings of the County Courts of Charles County 1666-1674
Volume 60, Preface 33   View pdf image (33K)
 Jump to  
clear space clear space clear space white space

                         Introduction.          xxxiii

    and “Francis Goodricke, on a Sunday came from Church they called at William
    Boydens at Mr. Rozers Indian Fields” (p. 585). Rozer was an extensive
    landowner but a tract named “Indian Fields”, owned by him, cannot be identi-
    fied or located. It is believed that this was the church built about 1662 when
    the Rev. John Legett was the Charles County minister, and as the Charter of
    Maryland forbade the erection of any but Anglican churches, Catholics and dis-
    senters worshipped in private chapels or houses. This church where Legett
    officiated was located on a tract, patented July 22, 1662, by Edmund Lindsay,
    the innkeeper and planter, which he sold February 10, 1662/3, reserving the
    one acre “which formerly hee had given the Church . . . . which the Church
    now standeth on” (Arch. Md. LIII, liv, 327-328). This land is located on the
    north side of the Potomac River on the easternrnost branch of Nangemy (Avon)
    Creek, in Portobacco Hundred, probably not far distant from the town of
    Portobacco (Charles County, Rent Roll, MSS, Md. Hist. Soc.). In 1684 a port
    of entry was described as “at the head of Portobacco Creek near the church
    there” (Arch. Md. XIII; 112). If there was an earlier church in Charles
    County than that built for John Legett, it cannot be located.


      Physicians, chirurgeons, and medical matters, are frequently mentioned in
    these court proceedings. For apparently the first time in a Maryland record we
    find mention here of an apothecary. It is most unlikely that any of the physi-
    cians or chirurgeons mentioned had training other than perhaps apprenticeship
    under some other practitioner. Their occupation is usually revealed in suits
    for “attendance and physick” against slow paying patients, or when their names
    appear in land conveyances to which they were parties. In some cases paupers,
    who had become charges of the counties, were consigned by the court to the
    care of a man whose pay might, or might not, be conditional on a “cure.”
    Suits for “physick” were also filed by persons who did not pretend to be
    practitioners; in one instance by one of the leading county justices. The
    apothecary referred to above is also called physician.
      Edward Maddocks (Maddox), who was between twenty-three and twenty-
    six years old when he is first referred to in this record, appears frequently
    and variously as a “Phisicon”, “Chirurgion”, and “Apothecary.” The justices
    at the November, 1669, court, agreed to pay Maddocks 8oo pounds of tobacco
    out of the county levy for the care for six months of Lucy Good, suffering
    from a “Lame Legg”, with the proviso that “if he Cure the §d Lucy of her
    Lameness he is also allowed one years service from the sd Lucy”, who was
    doubtless a broken down indentured servant whose master had thrown her upon
    public charity (pp. 230, 248). A little later Maddocks got judgment for the
    sum of 240 pounds for having attended Samuel Price whom he at various
    times had bled, cupped, purged and given a “Cordiall Bolus” (p. 260). He
    also sued Edmund Lindsay, the innkeeper, and was awarded 980 pounds for
    attendance and physicks administered to his wife and children; pills, “playsters”,
    “cordiall julep”, “Cordiall Electuary”, and a “purging apozem for yor Wife”,
    were listed as having been supplied (p. 246). As the grantor of land in 1672

clear space
clear space
white space

Please view image to verify text. To report an error, please contact us.
Proceedings of the County Courts of Charles County 1666-1674
Volume 60, Preface 33   View pdf image (33K)
 Jump to  

This web site is presented for reference purposes under the doctrine of fair use. When this material is used, in whole or in part, proper citation and credit must be attributed to the Maryland State Archives. PLEASE NOTE: The site may contain material from other sources which may be under copyright. Rights assessment, and full originating source citation, is the responsibility of the user.

Tell Us What You Think About the Maryland State Archives Website!

An Archives of Maryland electronic publication.
For information contact

©Copyright  October 06, 2023
Maryland State Archives