prest 7 dayes” (pp. 523-524). These charges were for part of the expenses
of the expedition which White had been ordered by the Council to make to
lay out the northern bounds of the province as near as possible to the fortieth
degree of latitude (Arch. Md. V, 56, 58). The “Barrones” were unquestionably
the barrens, an unforested band of territory some eight or nine miles in width
which extended from a point near where Deer Creek flows into the Susque-
hanna River southwesterly across Baltimore County and beyQnd. These bar-
rens antedated the settlement of the Province, and an interesting account of
them will be found in a paper by William B. Marye published in the Maryland
Historical Magazine in 1935 (XXX, 120-122). Amickinn has not been iden-
tified; it may lie within the bounds of what is now Pennsylvania or Delaware.
Following the recording of a deed for 600 acres of land, part of Little Elton-
head Manor, Calvert County, from Thomas Taylor, gentleman, to Charles Cal-
vert, the Governor, there was recorded an agreement dated May 11, 1668, in
which Taylor, who continued to live on the land adjoining, and the Gov-
ernor, formally agreed that any “fresh ponds or other ponds whatsoever that
are Adjacent and belong” to the land sold, “are Free to be fish'd and fowl'd in
by either party or by either of theire heires or Assigns without any lett or
molestacon" (p. 296). This is perhaps the first example in Maryland of a
small, but very select, ducking and fishing club.
There were two instances both of which came before the same court which
was held in February, 1669/70, involving expenses incurred in burying persons
who appear to have been strangers. James Lee of Charles County, who not
infrequently acted as what in modern days is called an undertaker, was allowed
3170 pounds of tobacco for his “great charge trouble and expenses in enter-
taineing attending and burieing One Constantine Hattaway Cheife Mate” to
Captain Edward Peerce, the charges to be paid by the Captain (p. 507). This
seems a high-priced funeral for these days. In sharp contrast to this is the
400 pounds of tobacco allowed by the court to Henry Pennington “for the
burying and expenses upon Richard Miller deceased” (p. 507).
Only one mention of a school or school teacher occurs in this court record.
In a criminal action for assault referred to elsewhere in this introduction,
there is to be found mention of a school house on Island Creek, Patuxent River,
Calvert County apparently conducted by John Grammer, where the assault is
said to have occurred (pp. 151, 152).
The first charter of St. Mary's City, dated November 3, 1668, will be found
recorded in these proceedings of the Provincial Court (pp. 348-350). It is also
recorded in the Proceedings of the Court of Chancery (Arch. Md. LI, 567-70).
By it was incorporated a city one mile square. The charter provided for the
election of a mayor, recorder, aldermen, and common council by the inhabitants,
with the right given them to make laws and ordinances, and to appoint con-
stables; and to hold a weekly market and a yearly fair with a court of pypowdry
Obviously only those matters of more general interest to the student of
seventeenth century jurisprudence and social customs are commented upon in
this introduction. The interested reader will find in the index the key to much
which is not touched upon here.