2) de facto and de jure segregation: Augusta and Plessy v. Ferguson (1896), MSA SC 2221-11-18.
3) Donald Gaines Murray. Photograph of Donald Gaines Murray and entry from his 1934 Amherst yearbook, Olio, Archives and Special Collections, Amherst College Library. MSA SC 5216. BALTIMORE CITY COURT (Court Papers) plaintiff's exhibit number 1 (Donald G. Murray to Dean of the Law School) 8 December 1934. MSA C 174-2-6. MSA SC 2221-11-2.
4) Baltimore City Atlas, 1906, showing McCulloh Street and environs. MSA SC 2179-1-1, MSA SC 2221-11-3.
5) BALTIMORE CITY COURT (Court Papers) including: plaintiff's exhibit number 2 (R.A. Pearson to Donald G. Murray) 14 December 1934; petitioner's exhibit A (admission application) n.d.; plaintiff's exhibit number 4 (W. M. Hillegeist to Donald G. Murray) 9 February 1935; plaintiff's exhibit number 5 (Donald G. Murray to the Board of Regents) 5 March 1935; plaintiff's exhibit number 6 (R. A. Pearson to Donald G. Murray) 8 March 1935; petitioner's exhibit A (postal money order) 24 January 1935. MSA C 174-2, MSA SC 2221-11-4.
6) BALTIMORE CITY COURT (Petition Docket) GCL #13, 1930-1936, p. 284. Docket entry of Petition of Donald G. Murray for a Writ of Mandamus directed to the President, the Registrar, and the Board of Regents of the University of Maryland requiring them to accept the application of the petitioner for admission as a first year student in the Day School of the School of Law of the University of Maryland, 18 April 1935. MSA T 549-10, MSA SC 2221-11-5.
7) BALTIMORE CITY COURT (Court Papers) Stenographer's Record, Donald G. Murray vs. Raymond A. Pearson, et al. 18 June 1935; plaintiff's exhibit number 10; writ of mandamus 25 June 1935. MSA C 174-2, MSA SC 2221-11-6.
8) Baltimore Afro-American. Week of June 22, 1935. Courtesy of the McKeldin Library, University of Maryland, MSA SC 2221-11-7.
9) COURT OF APPEALS (Miscellaneous Papers) including number 53 October Term 1935, petition to advance case for an immediate hearing 6 August 1935; number 53 October Term 1935, answer to petition to advance 31 August 1935. MSA S 397-94. COURT OF APPEALS (Opinions) number 53 October Term 1935 (Pearson, et al. vs. Murray) 15 January 1936. MSA S 393-229, MSA SC 2221-11-8.
12) GOVERNOR (Subject File) #613-L-M, folder labled "National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, 27th Annual Conference, Baltimore, June 30 to July 5th, 1936," containing correspondence between Governor Harry W. Nice and Thurgood Marshall, and between Governor Nice and Mrs. Lillie M. Jackson in March 1937, with enclosures. MSA S 1046-97, MSA SC 2221-11-9.
13) SPECIAL COLLECTIONS (Thurgood Marshall Memorial Collection) Commencement announcement, University of Maryland, June 4, 1938. MSA SC 4565, MSA SC 2221-11-17.
15) Baltimore Sun, obituary of Donald Gaines Murray, 10 April 1986, MSA SC 2221-11-11.
16) Thurgood Marshall: Reference Materials prepared for the Consideration of the Commission on the Thurgood Marshall Memorial Statue in Annapolis; Memorial Historical Site; Photograph of Thurgood Marshall, ca. 1989, SPECIAL COLLECTIONS (Thurgood Marshall Research Collection) National Geographic Society photograph. MSA SC 2219-1, MSA SC 2221-11-10.
17) "Victory in Baltimore" Clarence Mitchell Jr. and the Struggle for Civil Rights by Denton L. Watson, Baltimore Sun, 20 June 1990; and letter to the editor re Denton Watson's article, Baltimore Sun, 6 July 1990, MSA SC 2221-11-12.
18) Baltimore Sun, obituary of Floyd McKissick, 30 April 1991, MSA SC 2221-11-13.
19) "The Most Important Lawyer of the 20th Century" by Garland L. Thompson, Baltimore Sun, 30 June 1991, MSA SC 2221-11-14.
20) "Frustrations that Overcame Marshall" by Denton L. Watson, Baltimore Sun, 1 July 1991, MSA SC 2221-11-15.
The Archives of Maryland Documents for the Classroom series of the Maryland State Archives was designed and developed by Dr. Edward C. Papenfuse and Dr. M. Mercer Neale and was prepared with the assistance of R. J. Rockefeller, Lynne MacAdam, Leigh Bond, Matt Brown, Laura Lisy, and other members of the Archives staff. MSA SC 2221-11. Publication no. 1844.
© Copyright September 16, 1996, rev. July 1998 Maryland State Archives
For further inquiries, please contact Dr. Papenfuse at:
Phone: MD toll free 800-235-4045 or (410) 260-6401
|| Search the Archives || Education & Outreach || Archives of Maryland Online ] Governor General Assembly Judiciary Maryland.Gov