The Archives Room

Desk, House of Delegates

Maker: Gould & Glanville, Baltimore, Maryland
Medium: Walnut, 1858


Thomas Johnson, Jr.

In 1858, the Maryland General Assembly paid the cabinetmaker firm Gould & Glanville of Baltimore the sum of $1,679 for 73 new desks and chairs to accommodate the House of Delegates growing roster of members. This desk was acquired by the State in 2008 and was conserved in 2016.

This desk was present in the Chamber during the 1864 constitutional convention which abolished slavery in the state and the 1867 constitutional convention which drafted the creation of Maryland’s current Constitution.



 
 

 
 

Fine Arts & DEcorative Arts in the Archives Room

1858 House of Delegates Desk
1858 House of Delegates Desk
1840s arnchair
Marquis de Lafayette
Treasury Iron Chest
The Dome & Lightning Rod