Baltimore City seal - click for Home The Baltimore City Circuit Court
& Baltimore Bar Library Art Collection
in Connection with the Maryland State Archives

MSA SC 5590

Clarence M. Mitchell Jr. Courthouse 
black line

John R. Hargrove
Hon. John R. Hargrove (1923-1997)
Simmie Knox (1936-)
Oil on canvas, 1994
47 ¼ H x 41 W in.
Presented, October 22, 1997
Donor, Commissioned by the Baltimore Courthouse & Law Museum Foundation, Inc.
Owner, Baltimore City Circuit Court
Private Career:
Admitted to the bar, 1950
Founding partner, Howard & Hargrove , 1959
Private practice, 1950-1955, 1963-1968
Public Service:
Assistant U.S. Attorney, District of Maryland, 1955-1957
Deputy U.S. Attorney, District of Maryland, 1957-1962
Associate Judge, People’s Court, Baltimore City, 1962-1963
Member, the 1967-1968 Constitutional Convention of Maryland
Associate Judge, Municipal Court, Baltimore City, 1968-1971
Administrative Judge, District Court of Maryland, District No. 1 Baltimore, Maryland, 1971-1974
Associate Judge, Supreme Bench of Baltimore City, 1974-1984
Juvenile Court Judge, Supreme Bench of Baltimore City, 1977-1980
Judge, U.S. District Court, Maryland, 1984-1997
First African-American Assistant U.S. Attorney for the District of Maryland. The courthouse for District Court of Maryland at 700 East Patapsco Avenue in Baltimore was named in his honor in 2003.

Historical & Biographical Series at the Maryland State Archives

This information resource of the Maryland State Archives is presented here for fair use in the public domain. When this material is used, in whole or in part, proper citation and credit must be attributed to the Maryland State Archives. PLEASE NOTE: Rights assessment for associated source material is the responsibility of the user.

Tell Us What You Think About the Maryland State Archives Website!

[ Archives' Home Page  ||  Maryland Manual On-Line  ||  Reference & Research
||  Search the Archives   ||  Education & Outreach  ||  Archives of Maryland Online ]

Governor     General Assembly    Judiciary     Maryland.Gov

© Copyright October 27, 2005 Maryland State Archives