EDWIN HENRY BROWN, 1846-1906
State Treasurer, 1890-1892
Portrait attributed to Meredith Janvier (c. 1910)
MSA SC 1545-1154
Edwin Henry Brown was born in Queen Anne's County on August 18, 1846 the son of Madison and Ellen Fassett (Pratt) Brown. He attended Centreville Academy, Queen Anne's County, the Hicher School, Harford County, and was graduated from St. Timothy's Hall in Baltimore County. He entered the law offices of his father and completed his studies in the office of the United States District Attorney in Baltimore. In 1870 he was admitted to the bar in Centreville.
Brown was married to Margaret Turpin in 1872. They had three sons; Walter, Purnell, and Edwin Henry, Jr., and one daughter, Bessie.
He began his public career as State's Attorney of Queen Anne's County in 1875 and served in that capacity until 1883. From 1890 until 1892 he served as Treasurer of Maryland, having been appointed by Governor E.E. Jackson to fill a vacancy in that office. From 1901 until 1906 he was an Associate Judge of the Second Judicial District.
In addition to the practice of law, Edwin Henry Brown was president of the Queen Anne's National Bank of Centreville from 1896 until 1906. A lifelong Episcopalian, he served for 35 years on the vestry of St. Paul's Parish. He died on March 25, 1906 ". . .stricken down in a moment whilst out driving."
|| Search the Archives || Education & Outreach || Archives of Maryland Online ] Governor General Assembly Judiciary Maryland.Gov