Archives of Maryland
Historical List
Proprietary Assembly of 1671 - 1674/75

First Session: March 27, 1671 - April 19, 1671
Second Session: October 10, 1671 - October 19, 1671
Third Session: May 19, 1674 - June 6, 1674
Fourth Session: February 12, 1674/75 - February 24, 1674/75

Edward C. Papenfuse, et al., A Biographical Dictionary of the Maryland Legislature, 1635-1789, Vols. 1&2.  Annapolis, MD: Maryland State Archives, 1979, 1985.

Thomas Taillor, Thomas Notley Speaker of the Lower House
Upper House
Philip Calvert, chancellor
William Talbot, secretary 1, r-11
Baker Brooke
William Calvert, secretary 3-41
Thomas Trueman
Samuel Chew
Edward Fitzherbert, r-22
Jesse Wharton, a-3
Thomas Taillor, a-3
Nathaniel Utie, a-3

Lower House
Anne Arundel County
Thomas Taillor, spkr 1, c-33
William Burgess
Cornelius Howard
Robert Franklin
Baltimore County
James Browne, dns4
John Vanhack, r-45
John Waterton
Thomas Howell
Thomas Todd, e-4
George Wells, e-4
Calvert County
Thomas Brooke
Charles Brooke, d-3
Richard Perry, r-35
Daniel Jenifer, r-35
Richard Hall, e-3
William Berry, e-3
Henry Darnall, e-3, s-4
Cecil County6
Henry Ward, e-4
Abraham Wilde, e-4
John Vanhack, e-45
Thomas Salmon, e-4
Charles County
Humphrey Warren, dns, d-14
Henry Adams
Ignatius Causine
John Bowles
Dorchester County7
Daniel Clarke
Henry Trippe5
William Ford, e-45
Kent County
Arthur Wright
William Bishop
St. Mary's City8
John Morecroft, e-2, d-3
Thomas Notley, e-2, spkr 2-4
Robert Carvile, e-3
St. Mary's County
Luke Gardiner, s-3
William Boarman
William Hatton
Thomas Dent, e-3
Jacob Jarbo, e-3
Somerset County7
Paul Marsh
Roger Woolford
Ambrose Dixon, dns4
Ambrose London, dns4
Talbot County
Richard Woolman
Philemon Lloyd
Joseph Wickes
William Hambleton

1. Talbot returned to England and Ireland after the first session; Calvert had succeeded Talbot as secretary by the third session.

2. Fitzherbert apparently left the colony permanently after the second session.

3. In England during the second session; promoted to the Upper House before the Assembly reconvened in 1674.

4. Browne went to New England; Warren died before the first session convened; Dixon and London never attended, perhaps because of Somerset County's expressed desire to send only two delegates for financial reasons.

5. Questions arose in this Assembly of replacing delegates who were temporarily or permanently out of the colony. When Henry Trippe was absent from the second session, Dorchester County's justices or freemen elected a replacement, identity unknown, who apparently was never seated by the Lower House. By the third session Calvert County voters had replaced Richard Perry and Daniel Jenifer, who had moved to England and Virginia respectively. It is uncertain whether William Ford of Dorchester County was a third delegate, or was replacing Daniel Clarke, who did not attend the fourth session but was still alive. John Vanhack ceased serving from Baltimore County when he was elected as a burgess from newly erected Cecil County in 1674/75. Thomas Todd and George Wells probably replaced both him and James Browne at the fourth session.

6. Cecil County, created in 1674, sent its first delegates to the fourth session.

7. Somerset and Dorchester both requested that they be allowed to send only two delegates due to the heavy financial burden their expenses placed on newer counties.

8. Representation for St. Mary's City was first granted at the second session as an act of Governor Calvert to ensure the presence in the Assembly of John Morecroft and Thomas Notley, two devoted proprietary supporters.

Return to Maryland Government, Historical List

This web site is presented for reference purposes under the doctrine of fair use. When this material is used, in whole or in part, proper citation and credit must be attributed to the Maryland State Archives. PLEASE NOTE: The site may contain material from other sources which may be under copyright. Rights assessment, and full originating source citation, is the responsibility of the user.

Tell Us What You Think About the Maryland State Archives Website!

© Copyright April 29, 2010Maryland State Archives