Close Encounters of the First Kind, 1585-1767
Maryland State Archives: Documents for the Classroom
Suggested Reading List
- Axtell, James. The European and the Indian: Essays in the Ethnohistory of Colonial North America. Oxford and New York: Oxford University Press, 1981.
- Brown, Jr., Stuart E. Pocahontas. Pocahontas Foundation, 1989.
- Dobyns, Henry F. Native American Historical Demography, A Critical Bibliography. Chicago: Newberry Library Center, 1976.
- Fausz, J. Frederick. "Present at the 'Creation': The Chesapeake World that Greeted the Maryland Colonists," Maryland Historical Magazine 79 (Spring 1984): 7-20.
- Fishwick, Marshall. "Was John Smith A Liar?" American Heritage, October 1958, Vol. IX, No. 6, pp. 28-33; 110-111.
- Fritz, Jean. The Double Life of Pocahontas. New York: Puffin Books, 1987. Includes notes and a bibliography. Fiction.
- Handbook of American Indians North of Mexico, edited by Frederick W. Hodge. 2 vols. Bureau of American Ethnology Bulletin 30. New York: Rowan and Littlefield, 1971 (reprint of 1907-1910 edition).
- Handbook of North American Indians, edited by William C. Sturtevant. Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1978-1981.
- Hulton, Paul, ed. America 1585, The Complete Drawings of John White. University of North Carolina Press, 1984.
- Kavanagh, Maureen. "The roof was tied fast," in Paul Baker Touart, Along the Seaboard Side, The Architectual History of Worcester County, Maryland. Worcester County: Worcester County Commissioners, 1994, pp. 2-9; 224.
- Jennings, Francis. "Masters, Servants, and Slaves in the Colonial Chesapeake and the Caribbean," in Early Maryland in a Wider World, edited by David B. Quinn. Detroit: Wayne State University Press, 1982.
- Kenny, Hamill Thomas. The Origin and Meaning of Indian Place Names of Maryland. Baltimore: Waverly Press, 1961.
- Lemay, Ja. A. Leo. The American Dream of Captain John Smith. Charlottesville: University Press of Virginia, 1991.
- Lorant, Stefan, ed. The New World. The first Pictures of America, made by John White and Jacques Le Moyne and engraved by Theodore de Bry, with contemporary narratives of the French settlements in Florida, 1562-1565, and the English colonies in Virginia, 1585-1590. New York: Duell, Sloan and Pearce, 1965.
- Manakee, Harold R. Indians of Early Maryland. Baltimore: Maryland Historical Society, 1959.
Maryland Department of Natural Resources, Tidewater Administration. Prehistoric Peoples of Maryland's Coastal Plain. Annapolis, 1979.
- Merrell, James H. "Cultural Continuity Among the Piscataway Indians of Colonial Maryland," William and Mary Quarterly, Third Series, 36 (October, 1979): 548-570.
- Merrell, James H. Abstract of Lecture on Understanding Indians: The Problems of Evidence.
- Merrell, James H. "'The Customs of Our Countrey': Indians and Colonists in Early America," In Bernard Bailyn and Philip D. Morgan, Eds. Strangers within the Realm: Cultural Margins of the First British Empire. Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina Press, published for the Institute of Early American History and Culture, 1991.
- Nash, Gary B. Red, White, and Black: The Peoples of Early America. Englewood Cliffs, N.J.: Prentice-Hall, 1974.
- Porter, Frank W., III. Indians in Maryland and Delaware: A Critical Bibliography. Bloomington: Indiana University Press, 1979.
- Porter, Frank W., III. Maryland Indians, Yesterday and Today. Baltimore: Maryland Historical Society, 1983.
- Quinn, David Beers. Set Fair for Roanaoke: Voyages and Colonies, 1584-1606. Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina Press, 1985.
- Rasmussen, Willam M.S., and Robert S. Tilton. Pocahontas Her Life & Legend. Published for an Exhibition at the Virginia Historical Society, Richmond, 24 October 1994- 30 April 1995. Richmond: Virginia Historical Society, 1994.
- Robinson, W. Stitt. "Conflicting Views of Landholding: Lord Baltimore and the Experiences of Colonial Maryland with Native Americans," Maryland Historical Magazine 83 (Summer 1988): 85-97.
- Robinson, W. Stitt, Ed. Early American Indian Documents: Treaties and Laws, 1607-1789; Volume 6, Maryland Treaties, 1632-1775. Frederick, Maryland: University Press of America, 1987.
- Swanton, John R. "The Indian Tribes of North America." Bulletin of the Bureau of American Ethnology, 145, 1952.
- Trout, Lawana. Roanoke, A Guide for Teachers. Chicago: The Newberry Library, 1992. Prepared in conjunction with an exhibit entitled America in 1492 American Civilization on the Eve of the Columbus Voyages.
- Westlager, C.A. The Nanticoke Indians - Past and Present. Newark, Delaware: University of Delaware Press, 1983.
© Copyright February 12, 1996 Maryland State Archives