The Archivist's Bulldog

Vol. 12 No. 20, Newsletter of the Maryland State Archives, November 9, 1998


On October 15, the first Peabody Art Collection exhibit of the Maryland Commission on Artistic Property of the Maryland State Archives opened with a reception at Government House hosted by Governor and Mrs. Glendening. The over 200 guests in attendance represented many of the arts communities in Annapolis and Maryland.  In her remarks, Mrs. Glendening spoke of the importance of the arts to Maryland and to her personally.  The exhibit is part of her two-year, state-wide program called "A Celebration of the Arts" which has focused on the visual and performing arts in every part of the state. Mrs. Glendening also thanked the Archives and the Peabody Institute for their cooperation in mounting the exhibit. Both Ed and Carol made brief remarks as well.

Prior to the opening, Archives' staff members were treated to a private viewing of the exhibit. Carol gave those who signed up for the tour a brief overview of the collection and the life of George Peabody before taking them around the public rooms to see the artworks themselves. As this is the first public exhibition of works from the collection since the state acquired ownership of it in June 1996, it is the first opportunity for staff to see it.

George Peabody, often called the father of modern philanthropy, reserved one of his most extraordinary gifts for the city of Baltimore--the Peabody Institute.  As part of this Institute, the Peabody Art Gallery was one of the first public art galleries in the nation.  Before the establishment of the Walters Art Gallery and the Baltimore Museum of Art, it afforded Marylanders their first opportunity to view important works of art.  The Gallery became the recipient of a number of outstanding collections belonging to prominent Marylanders.  The state of Maryland is extremely fortunate to be the beneficiary of this remarkable collection, which provides a portrait of art collecting in nineteenth-century America.

The exhibit will remain on view at Government House through December of 1998.  Tours of the exhibit, A Taste for the Fine Arts: George Peabody's Gift to Maryland, and of Government House are available Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays, 10 a.m. through 2 p.m., by appointment. [Tuesdays and Thursdays when the legislature is in session.] Tours are 1/2 hour in duration and include 7 public rooms. Groups of 10 or more are preferred. To arrange a tour, or for more information, contact Government House at 410-974-3531.  An online tour of the exhibit, and more information on the state art collection, is also available through the Archives' website at


The Archives will be closed on Wednesday, November 11, for Veterans Day and Thursday, November 26, Friday, November 27, and Saturday, November 28 for Thanksgiving.

by Nancy Bramucci

MSA SC5000: Rosenburg Collection, 1989-1997. Administrative files, Delegate Samuel I. Rosenburg, including correspondence and other materials relating to projects and issues addressed by him while serving in the Maryland House of Delegates.
MSA SC5001: Fletcher Collection, 1940-1952. Postcards of Cambridge and Annapolis.
MSA SC5002: Wiley Collection, ca. 1900. Approx. 75 glass plate negatives taken by the Thomas Family, who lived on White Avenue in Linthicum. Restricted.
MSA SC5003: Roger Johnson - Richard Smith Architects, Inc. Collection, 1988-1989. Blueprints, mylars, and specifications for the Meadow Dialysis Center, Oak Hill Avenue, Hagerstown.
MSA SC5004: Farrar Collection, 1983. Hayward Farrar, See What the Afro Says: The Baltimore Afro-American, 1892-1950, Ph.D diss., Unversity of Chicago, 1983.
MSA SC5005: Louis L. Goldstein Memorial Collection, 1998. Photograph, Comptroller Louis L. Goldstein. Restricted.
MSA SC5007: Caulk Collection, 1792. Notation, "My Father Isaac Caulk departed this life the 10th day of the 12th month 1792."
MSA SC5008: Supreme Bench of Baltimore City Collection, 1931. Report of the Supreme Bench of Baltimore City for the year ending January 11, 1931.
MSA SC5009: Richards Collection, 1831. Biography of Samuel Chase from Biography of the Signers to the Declaration of Independence, Philadelphia: Bennell Walton, 1831; History of state and county officers from unidentified book.
MSA SC5010: Shanghai Archives Collection, 1989. Issue of the Shanghai Archives containing an article on geneology and Alex Haley. In Chinese.
MSA SC5011: Senate Journal Collection, 1839. Small piece of paper announcing the quarterly meeting of the Trustees of St. John's College. Found in the Senate Journal for 1837 between pages 30-31 of the index.
MSA SC5012: Gemignani Collection, 1992. The Forgotten Seven: The Decoy Carvers of Kent Island.
MSA SC5013: Geraci Collection, 1885-1937. Bible Records of the Schaffer Family.
MSA SC5014: Kelbaugh Collection, 1874, 1936. Illustration of the centennial celebration of the burning of the Peggy Stewart on October 19, 1874, by Frank Mayer in Frank Leslie's Illustrated Newspaper; photocopy of an article by James W. Foster on the opening of the old Hall of Records.
MSA SC5015: Bill of Rights Collection, 1989. Facsimile of the original Bill of Rights, inside an explanitory folder. Published by Philip Morris and the National Archives as a part of the 200th anniversary celebration of the Bill of Rights.
MSA SC5016: Jerusalem Lutheran Church Collection, 1987. List of the Pastors of the Jerusalem Lutheran Church, with photographs of some of them.
MSA SC5017: Honeywell Building Collection, n.d. Site plan, Honeywell Building, Annapolis Science Center, by David Noel Simon, architect.  MSA SC5018: St. Mary's City Poster Collection, 1974. Conjectural drawings of St. Mary's City in 1634 and 1690s.

Founded 1987

Edward C. Papenfuse, State Archivist
Patricia V. Melville, Editor
Mimi Calver, Assistant Editor
Lynne MacAdam, Production Editor
Rita Molter, Circulation

The Maryland State Archives is an independent agency in the Office of Governor Parris N. Glendening and is advised by the Hall of Records Commission. The Chairman of the Hall of Records Commission is the Honorable Robert Mack Bell, Chief Judge of the Maryland Court of Appeals.

The Archivists' Bulldog is issued bi-monthly to publicize records collections, finding aids, and other activities of the Archives and its staff. Subscription cost is $25 per year, and the proceeds go to the State Archives Fund. To subscribe, please send your name, address, and remittance to: the Maryland State Archives, 350 Rowe Boulevard, Annapolis, Maryland 21401-1686. Phone: MD toll free: (800) 235-4045; or (410) 260-6400. FAX: (410) 974-3895. E-mail: The Editor welcomes editorial comments and contributions from the public.

The Archives maintains a Website on the Internet at:

This web site is presented for reference purposes under the doctrine of fair use. When this material is used, in whole or in part, proper citation and credit must be attributed to the Maryland State Archives. PLEASE NOTE: The site may contain material from other sources which may be under copyright. Rights assessment, and full originating source citation, is the responsibility of the user.

Tell Us What You Think About the Maryland State Archives Website!

Copyright November 17, 1998 Maryland State Archives