Newsletter of
The Maryland State Archives
Vol. 16, No. 20
November 12, 2002
Branch to a road from Nicholas Aldredge to Middle River. 

Sometimes the county justices would partition a hundred into upper and lower parts when the roads became too numerous for one overseer to maintain. At the November court term of 1741 the court appointed Samuel Smith to divide West River Hundred into two "overseer precincts." Six years later he filed his return describing the division line as starting at William Richardson's Spring Branch and then along the road to Joseph Richardson. In March 1754 the justices divided Severn Hundred into two parts from the head of the spring branch of Richard Warfield, Jr. to Elizabeth Gaither's gate at South River Road. Eighteen months later they partitioned the hundred for the Barrens by a line from the wading place over Snowdens River near Spires the Taylor to Pools Branch near Brazil Pools, then with Pools Branch to Patapsco Falls. In November 1763 Herring Creek Hundred was divided, beginning at Samuel Chew's, then along the main road, leaving John Chew's to the southward, to the Calvert County line. 

In November 1752, the rector, vestrymen, and wardens of Queen Caroline Parish filed a petition to firmly establish the boundaries of the hundreds in the parish. The existing condition of uncertain boundaries led to levies not being assessed on several taxables living in those areas. Church officials, of course, were concerned since the Protestant Episcopal parishes received public funds. The petition contained suggestions for the boundaries: 

(continued on Page 2)

Page 2
The Archivists' Bulldog
HUNDREDS (continued from Page 1)
  • Huntington Hundred to be bounded by the road from Ephraim Howards Bridge to the rolling road near the lower end of Barnes old field, then up the rolling road to the dwelling house formerly owned by Capt. John Howard, then to the ford on Patapsco Falls, then along the falls and the bounds of the parish to the Patuxent River, then along the river to the above bridge; 
  • Patuxent Hundred to contain all the lands south of the road from the bridge on the main branch of the Patuxent River at Richard Green's mill to the bridge of Ephraim Howard, and west of the river down from the bridge; 
  • Elk Ridge Hundred to be bounded by the road from Ephraim Howard's to Dr. Warfield's Bridge, then up Middle River to Locust Thicket Branch, then along the branch on the east side of Peter Barnes' quarter to the wagon road, then along the wagon road to Pooles Branch, then along the branch to Patapsco Falls, then down the falls to a ford, then along a rolling road to another one near Barnes old field, then along that road to Howard's Bridge; 
  • Bare Ground Hundred, to be created out of the upper part of the current Patuxent Hundred with the boundary between the two to be the road from the bridge near Richard Green's to Dr. Warfield's. The boundary with Elk Ridge Hundred was defined as Middle River, Locust Thicket Branch, the wagon road, and Pooles Branch. 

The court granted the petition and accepted the boundaries. 

In another instance where the collection of proper taxes probably was the motivating factor the justices in June 1767 ordered the county surveyor to run

 the boundary line between St. James and All Hallows parishes from the southern bounded tree of Whites Plains to the southern bounded tree of Ewen or Ewington. His return in August 1767 defined the line as South 78° East 435 perches. Dwelling houses on the boundary were assigned to specific parishes: Thomas Sprigg, Mrs. Mary Webster, Samuel Battee, Nicholas Watkins, Mrs. Kelley Lewis, and Mrs. Ann Harwood to All Hallows and Samuel Galloway, John Thomas' quarter, formerly belonging to William Richardson, Mrs. Elizabeth Smith, Samuel Smith, Capt. Thomas Harwood, and Stephen Watkins to St. James. 

Entries in the Anne Arundel County court minutes listing the appointments of overseers make it apparent that other hundreds were divided in order to facilitate the maintenance of roads. Either the division lines were unofficial or they were unrecorded. 

by Robert Barnes 

13. Ann [-?-] Utie, wife of Richard Bennett. 

Richard Bennett was a Parliamentary Commissioner from 1652 to 1657/8. He married by 1638 Ann, widow of John Utie. Bennett, his wife, and five children
immigrated to Maryland around 1646. Anne [-?-] Utie Bennett, by John Utie, was the mother of: John, Nathaniel, and George Utie. By Richard Bennett, she was the mother of: Richard, ca. 1639-1667, (whose daughter Susanna Maria married John Darnall), Elizabeth who married Charles Scarborough, and Ann who married first, Theodorick Bland, and second, St. Leger Codd. 

(continued on Page 3)

The Archivists' Bulldog 
Page 3