Newsletter of
The Maryland State Archives
Vol. 16, No. 10
May 28, 2002
by:  Pat Melville

The establishment of a new county in Maryland necessitated the construction of two public buildings - courthouse and jail. Queenstown was the first county seat of Queen Anne's County, erected in 1706. 

The court justices, sitting as the commissioners of the county, on November 26, 1709, contracted with Col. Richard Tilghman to build a jail, otherwise called a "prison house." The specifications for the facility were laid out in detail and recorded in the first (Judgment Record) in series C1416.

The dementions [sic] whereof to be thirty foot long, eighteen foot wide, one halfe to be sunk three foot and a halfe in the ground for the secure confinement of criminal persons. The wall to be eighteen inches thick, and lined with plank of inch and a half thick, well nailed to timber laid in the wall. The lower story to be six foot and a halfe in the clear. The story above (to secure debtors) to be seven foot in the clear, the wall thereof to be fourteen inches thick lines with plank as aforesaid. The joists in every floor both above and belowe to be substantial and to lye within six inches of each other. The other halfe of the house to consist of fourteen inch wall with floors and doors as usual in other buildings, and a chimney for the use of a goaler. The doors into the prison to be in the goalers room, with doors, locks and bolts suitable, and all to be finished to the well liking and approbation of the said commissioners.

The commissioners gave Tilghman an advance payment of 10,000 pounds of tobacco, and agreed to pay him 30,000 pounds of tobacco upon satisfactory completion of the structure, "to be finished with all convenient speed."

Page 2
The Archivists' Bulldog
by :  Frank Potter  (Archives volunteer) 

The 1930 Federal Census was released on the first of April at the National Archives in Washington, DC and at its regional centers. The originals were destroyed, so researchers must work with microfilm copies. One hopes the quality is good, better than significant portions of the 1920 census. 

The 1930 census will be difficult to use, partly because of its increased size and scope, but mainly because there is no name index except for ten southern states and part of West Virginia and Kentucky. With the census entries arranged geographically, it is best to know an area well and, if possible, to have a street address. The Baltimore City directories will be an important aid for determining addresses which then can be used to ascertain the census enumeration district. 

Individual census records are restricted for 72 years for privacy reasons. Such a term reflected the average life span when the restrictions were established. The intent was to encourage honest 

answers and to address confidentiality concerns. Selected abstracts from the Baltimore City census of 1860 illustrate these points. Individuals might not want their friends and neighbors to know that a relative was imprisoned in the Maryland Penitentiary for intent to murder or was identified as a keeper of a bawdy house. 

The 1930 census contained thirty-two questions about age, occupation, citizenship, housing, and education. It was the last census to ask whether a person could read or write, and the first to inquire about a radio in the household. 

The State Archives has purchased the 1930 census films for Maryland, thanks to a generous contribution from an anonymous donor. The reels should be available in the public search room sometime in July. Researchers can obtain descriptions of enumeration districts from the National Archives web site. The number per jurisdiction varied considerably. Anne Arundel County contained 37 districts, while Baltimore City had 673. 


SC 5186: Ridout-Atlee Collection, var. d. Ridout-Atlee family Bible. Bible given to Orlando Ridout II by his aunt, Mrs. Emma Atlee Coghlan. Restricted. 

SC 5187: Sudlersville Circuit Collection, 1868-1953. Sudlersville Circuit, QA. Queen Anne's Circuit Methodist Episcopal South: registers 1868-1907, 1953. Queen Anne Circuit Methodist Episcopal Church South: register 1907-1926; quarterly conference minutes 1879-1899; conference record 1902-1903. Ingleside Charge Methodist Episcopal Church South: register 1926-1958; quarterly minutes 1907-1910, 1919-1927, 1953. Ingleside and Goldsborough Charge Methodist Episcopal Church South: quarterly conference minutes 1903-1907. St. Paul's United Methodist Church: program, 100th anniversary 1868-1968; photograph, church and parsonage, c. 1918. Microfilm. 

SC 5189: Mount Washington United Methodist Church, 1869-1998. Mount Washington United Methodist Church, Baltimore: memorial gifts 1978-1998; register 1954-1998; membership list. Mount Washington Methodist Episcopal Church, Baltimore: registers 1869-1899, 1888-1913, 1869-1920. Microfilm.

(continued on Page 3)

The Archivists' Bulldog 
Page 3


SC 5190: Frederick County Historical Society Collection, var. dates. Miscellaneous glass plate negatives, Frederick County. Restricted. 

SC 5194: I. Henry Phillips Collection, n.d. Images, African Americans, Baltimore City. Electronic. Restricted.

SC 5200: Maryland State Law Library Collection of Martenet Maps, n.d. Maps, consisting of several of the wall maps produced by Simon J. Martenet. 

SC 5202: Jacobsen Interview Collection, n.d. Video taped interview with Phebe Jacobsen as she describes the Duval-Duvall Collection [MSA SC 625], as conducted by Lee Watkins and Chris Haley. Video, electronic records. 

SC 5206: Williams Collection, 1771-1873. Genealogical information from the Williams family bible. Includes information on the Miller and Hoffman families. 

SC 5207: Jane Revell Moss Collection, var. dates. Working notes, Jane Revell Moss, concerning conservation work done on materials from other institutions while she was a conservator at the Maryland State Archives, then the Maryland Hall of Records.

SC 5208: William Hupp Sands, Jr. Collection, 1866-1910. Ledgers and miscellaneous papers of Dr. Jacob Wirts DuBois (1836-1906) of Millersville, MD. Collection includes 6 ledgers as follows: 1868-1871; 1876-1888; 1893-1902; 1866, 1868, 1882-1885, 1888; 1902-1888; and 1866. Collection also includes miscellaneous correspondence, receipts, bills, inventories, lists of patients, etc. Dr. DuBois was the father of Christine DuBois Sands, wife of Dr. William H. Sands (1873-1918). 

SC 5212: Concord Methodist Church Collection, 1886-1952. Church record, Concord Methodist Church, CA: Potter's Landing Circuit, Concord Methodist Episcopal Church: register, including historical record, 1886-1902; Williston Circuit (Concord Circuit, 1906) Methodist Episcopal Church. Church record: marriages 1903-1912; 1939-1942; baptisms 1903-1910, 1936, 1940-1942; Concord Charge Methodist Church (formerly Methodist Episcopal and for a brief period beginning in 1946 known as Concord-Grove Charge). Church record: marriages 1912-1934, 1944, 1948; baptisms 1912-1934, 1942-1952; Concord Methodist Church. Membership roll. Includes list of Bloomery Trustees, var. dates

by: Christine Alvey

Eader, Edith Olivia and Trudie Davis-Long, compls. Jacob Engelbrecht Property and Alms house Ledgers of Frederick County, Maryland
Emma Goldman Papers Project. Open Road: The Newsletter of the Emma Goldman Papers, Winter 2000
Ernst, Kathleen A. Too Afraid to Cry, Maryland Civilians in the Antietam Campaign
Essah, Patience. House Divided: Slavery and Emancipation in Delaware, 1638 - 1865

(continued on Page 4)


LIBRARY ACCESSSIONS (continued from Page 3)

Filby, P. William and Deborah Stanley, eds. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index, 2003 Supplement, Part 1
Filby, P. William and Katherine H. Nemeh, eds. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index, 2002 Supplement, Part 2
Franklin, John Hope and Loren Schweninger. Runaway Slaves: Rebels on the Plantation
Hall, Robert W. Land Grants in the Middle Neck Hundred of Anne Arundel County, Maryland, 1650 - 1704
Harsh, Joseph L. Sounding the Shallows: A Confederate Companion for the Maryland Campaign of 1862