(continued from first page)
names, except for the surname
Harris, appeared on missing parts of the page.
One year later the court
ordered the continued maintenance of the same roads, without naming them.
Another road, from Pigg Quarter Creek to the road at the head of Broad
Creek, was listed along with three bridges that included ones at the head
of Pigg Quarter Creek, head of Tarkeele, and spring at Little Neck. John
Dabb was designated overseer for the roads in Upper Hundred and Edward
Burton for Lower Hundred.
After these initial entries
the sampled minutes contained appointments of overseers, orders regarding
roads and bridges, and considerations of petitions filed by individuals.
By 1686 the road system required the services of more than two overseers.
Appointed then were Henry Carter for the Upper Hundred of Kent Island,
Andrew Toulson for the Lower Hundred of Kent Island, Benjamin Ricand and
Josias Lanham for Eastern Neck and Swan Creek, and Robert Browne, William
Pearle, and John Parson for Langford Bay. The justices could designate
an overseer for a specific road, such as John Primrose in 1702 for the
road from John Sollers' to the main road to Whitwells Branch to Capt. John
Sometimes the appointment
of an overseer included instructions to establish or maintain specific
roads or bridges. In 1686 Josias Lanham, as the overseer for Eastern Neck,
was ordered to clear a road to New Yarmouth, build a bridge over Piney
Swamp, and clear a path from the "hole in the race" to New Yarmouth through
the Narrows to Maj. Wickes'. In 1703 the county court directed the overseer
to clear the "straight road" from Morgans Creek by Francis Collins' to
the Sassafras Ferry.
Overseers could be reimbursed
for extra expenditures. In 1717 the county judges authorized William Comegys
to build a bridge over Toae or