- MSA SC 5365 Education Evaluation Delegation Collection.
Plaque commemorating the visit of the Education Evaluation Delegation from the People's Republic of China, September 23 - October 7, 2000. The delegation examined issues related to education evaluation and assessment in America, including policy issues at federal and state levels; new trends and developments in theory and practice in the field; linkage of educational evaluation and assessment to
curriculum reforms; and criteria/standards for assessing performances of schools, principals, teachers, and students.
- MSA SC 5366 Hoogstraet Collection of the Carmelite Sisters of Baltimore.
Materials relating to the Carmel of Hoogstraet, Belgium, including the founding papers, biographical documents, normative sources, financial documents,
spiritual and liturgical materials and volumes, correspondence, drawings, photographs and recipes (a more complete index will appear when microfilming
is completed). Inventory available in accession folder.
- MSA SC 5367 Lafayette Papers of Library of Congress Collection.
series of letters between the Marquis de Lafayette and George Washington, December 1784.
- MSA SC 5368 The 150th Anniversary of Comptroller of Maryland Research Project.
Research files compiled by State Archives and others regarding the history
of the Comptroller's office.
- MSA SC 5369 Montgomery County Oath of Allegiance Collection.
Photocopies of a booklet featuring oaths of allegiance to the State of Maryland by
Montgomery County citizens, taken January through March of 1778.
- MSA SC 5370 Kathleen Kennedy Townsend Collection.
Photographs and other
material relating to the career of Kathleen Kennedy Townsend.
- MSA SC 5371 Charlie Bryd Scrapbooks.
Scrapbooks compiled by the musician
Charlie Bryd relating to his career. Microfilm version only.
- MSA SC 5372 Anne Arundel County's Elected Women Collection.
material relating to elected women from Anne Arundel County who have served in
county, State or federal government during the twentieth century. Includes
copies of program for the exhibition, "Elected Women who have Served in Anne
Arundel County in the 20th Century and Beyond," March 14, 2001. CD features
image files (TIFFS) of the women and other information. Hard copy of thumbnail
index of images included for reference.
- MSA SC 5373 Jacques Kelly Collection.
Archival photo prints depicting
famous horses, horse-racing events, and crowd scenes at various tracks in
Maryland and Delaware. The bulk of images date from the 1930s and 1940s.
- MSA SC 5374 Robert Schiller Collection.
World War I bond posters.
- MSA SC 5375 Edith Johns Collection.
Oil portrait of Richard John Cock,
attributed to Joshua Johnson, c. 1817; series of four watercolors depicting the
ship Canada en route to Bordeaux by Duluc, 1816; two silhouettes, one of
Captain John Cock and the other unidentified, dating from the first quarter of
the 19th century, attributed to Tabor[?]; assortment of twenty-two prayer books
and Bibles connected with the Johns and Cock families, 1749-late 19th century;
medal struck to commemorate the 350th anniversary of the founding of Maryland.
- MSA SC 5376 Steven Calhoun Collection.
U.S. Department of Agriculture,
Field Operations of the Division of Soil, 1900, Second Report
(Washington: Government Printing Office, 1901). Contains four maps detailing
agency activities in St. Mary's County.
- MSA SC 5377 Debelius-Harding Mt. Carmel Cemetery Records Collection.
Bound photocopies of original burial records of Mt. Carmel Cemetery,
Baltimore. Records note the name of each individual, age, date of death, and
sometimes cause of death. Information concerning disinternment and reinternment
of the dead necessitated by construction of I-95 also is featured. Certificate
of sales book (1924-1950) included.
- MSA SC 5379 Noble Collection.
Family Bible, Moss family. See also
MSA SC 1779.
- MSA SC 5380 Harriet Franklin Collection.
Land grant given to Franklin
Family, endorsed by Charles Calvert, fourth quarter of 17th century.
- MSA SC 5381. Judge William J. McWilliams Collection.
to Potomac River Compact of 1958, and final report of retired Justice Stanley F.
Reed, Special Master, 1962.
- MSA SC 5382 John O'Donnell Collection.
Printed ephemera and other
memorabilia relating to Governor William Donald Schaefer and Comptroller of the
Treasury Louis L. Goldstein.
- MSA SC 5383 Judge Philip M. Fairbanks Collection.
Papers and other
materials belonging to Judge Philip M. Fairbanks.
- MSA SC 5385 Auxiliary of the Sons of Union Veterans Collection.
Newsletters, programs, and other material produced by the Maryland/Delaware
Department of the Auxiliary of the Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War. A
brief history of the Department also is included.
- MSA SC 5386 Helen Geppi Collection.
Collection of family history
material and research relating mainly to Sgt. John W. Colley (c. 1836-1862),
Company G, 1st Regiment, Potomac Home Brigade of Maryland Volunteer Infantry
(USA). Typewritten transcriptions of his letters detail aspects of life at Camp
Wormon, approximately three miles outside Frederick, Maryland. Colley later was
murdered mysteriously near Ellicott City. Other material, photocopies of
original letters and a printed narrative, provide some insight into the
incident. Collection includes photocopies of Civil War era images of Colley and
of 1st Sgt. William G. England (also Co. G, 1st Regt. P.H.B.).
- MSA SC 5387 Bill McCann Collection.
Account books and records relating
to a 19th century Locust Grove (Kent County) general store.
- MSA SC 5388 Maryland State House Renovation Newspaper Collection.
Newspapers, Sun (Baltimore), 19 October 1882; Baltimore American
(Baltimore) 10 October 1882. The newspapers were discovered in the columns of
the front portico of the Maryland State House during restoration work.
Papers signed: "John F. Wiggins, Age 53."
- MSA SC 5389 Carl Snowden and John Snowden Memorial Committee Collection.
Pardon granted by Governor Parris N. Glendening on May 31, 2001 to John
Snowden, convicted of murder in the Circuit Court of Baltimore County on January
31, 1918 and hanged on February 28, 1919.
- MSA SC 5390 Brigadier General Warner I. Sumpter Battle Flag Collection.
Collection relating to the history of Maryland National Guard.
- MSA SC 5391 MdTeachers.Net Collection.
Research files compiled by Dr.
Edward C. Papenfuse.
- MSA SC 5392 Municipal Journal Collection.
- MSA SC 5393 Olmsted Collection.
Drawings relating to parks and
landscapes designed by Frederick Law Olmsted.
- MSA SC 5394 Governor Marvin Mandel Papers Collection.
to the administration of Marvin Mandel, who served as governor of Maryland,
1969-1979. Includes papers, books, certificates, posters, plaques, campaign
memorabilia, photographs, reels of film, audio tapes, and other material
(approximately 155 record storage boxes/wrapped units of material; approximately
- MSA SC 5397 Morgan State University Collection.
The First Colored
Profession, Clerical, Skilled and Business Directory of Baltimore City with
Washington, D.C. and Annapolis Annex., Baltimore, MD: Robert W. Coleman
Publishing Co. (various dates; 1917-1946).
- MSA SC 5398 Morris L. Radoff Historical Photograph Collection.
of Fountain Inn, Baltimore (one exterior, and one showing interior courtyard),
c.1870. Also included is an exterior view of Kaminskey Inn, photographed by
Thomas W. Jenkins c.1870.
- MSA SC 5399 Spencer Collection.
Scrapbook (c. 1903) with newspaper
clippings relating to the Panama Canal construction, Baltimore City history, and
diverse articles about European locations.
- MSA SC 5400 Mrs. John W. Sause Collection.
Photographs of "Blakeford"
and other material relating to great houses in Maryland.
- MSA SC 5401 Cobb Collection.
Dianne Marie Campbell Cobb and Warrington
Crane Cobb, Cobb, Hayes, Halm & King Ancestors (Baltimore: Gateway
Press, 2000). Book provides descriptions and experiences of ca. 1400 ancestors
in the pedigree of Warrington Crane Cobb in the prior 14 generations, including
over 400 seventeenth century immigrants. The immigrant ancestors of three of the
grandparents, each separately addressed, are distinguished by their original
settlements principally on Cape Cod, up the Piscataqua and Merrimac Rivers, and
in Tidewater Virginia.
- MSA SC 5402 West Virginia Division of Culture and History Collection.
John Tracy Ellis, "A Guide to the Baltimore Cathedral Archives." Reprinted
from Catholic Historical Review, vol. XXXII, no. 3, Oct. 1946; photo
postcard, "On the Beach" Holloway Beach, Maryland.
- MSA SC 5403 Glass Collection. Monography, Jesse Glass, Jr., "The Complete
Chronicles of Charles W. Webster" edited with introduction, abstracts, and
notes. The Chronicles (1856-1859), a satire by Charles W. Webster written
in Biblical style, is the product of a feud between Webster and Joseph Shaw
(1826-1865), editor of the Carroll County Democrat. See also MSA SC 2967.
- MSA SC 5404 "Maryland, My Maryland" Collection.
Audiotape, U.S. Naval
Academy, Men's Glee Club performing Maryland, My Maryland, 20 May 2000.
- MSA SC 5405 State House Slide Collection.
Slides: R. G. Harper
Pennington, 1876 watercolor of the Great Seal. Painted to hang in Old Senate
Chamber. Original watercolor in Winterthur Library (Whitehall Collection
92x93.24 Col 205); Joseph Horation Anderson, Elevation and Plan of proposed Maryland State House (not built). Original drawings in Winterthur Library
(Whitehall Collection 92x93.10 Col 205).
- MSA SC 5406 Noble Collection.
Sheet music, Maryland! My Maryland!
by James Ryder Randall. Published by Miller & Beacham, 1861; H.M. Wharton,
War Songs and Poems of the Southern Confederacy 1861-1865, 1904.
- MSA SC 5407 Winterthur Library Photographic Collection.
of c. 1850 salted paper photographic print of Mr. and Mrs. John Needles.
A distinguished Baltimore cabinetmaker, Needles also was involved in the
abolition movement. Original image held at the Winterthur Library (John
Downs Collection of Manuscripts and Printed Ephemera, no. 96x147).
- MSA SC 5408 Maryland: A New Guide to the Old Line State Collection.
selection of copy prints of images from the State Archives photographic
collection, primarily the Maryland Writer's Project Collection (MSA SC 908).
Supplementing the more than 120 archival photographs are contemporary ones by
photographer Edwin Remsberg which show the immensity of changes the state has
- MSA SC 5409 Artz Collection.
Maps: J. C. Sidney, Map of Hagerstown,
Washington Co., Maryland, 1850; S.S. Downin, Map of Leitersburg,
c.1840 [manuscript map].
- MSA SC 5410 Megginson Collection.
W. J. Megginson, "Tracing Your
Family Roots: Stuck in Your Family Tree?"
- MSA SC 5411 Anne Arundel County Government Collection.
Martenet's Map of
Anne Arundel County, 1860.
- MSA SC 5412 Blackstone Family Collection.
Tintype of Selman Brown, an
African-American male, c. 1870.
- MSA SC 5413 Miller Senate Building Peabody Exhibit Collection.
relating to the 2001 Peabody Collection exhibit mounted in the Miller Senate
- MSA SC 5414 Bryden Hyde Collection.
Blueprints from the office of James
R. Edmunds, Jr.
- MSA SC 5415 Edward C. Papenfuse China Travel Collection.
relating to Dr. Edward C. Papenfuse's trip to China, October 2001.
- MSA SC 5416 Coale Drawing Collection.
Contemporary idealized drawing of
Jones Falls and Roland Run as it looked in August of 1832.
- MSA SC 5417 Morris L. Radoff Fund Collection of Baltimore Descriptive
Publications: Peculiarities of American Cities, by Capt.
Willard Glazier (Philadelphia: Hubbard Brothers, 1887); "Baltimore Y La
America Latina", an illustrated Spanish language promotional booklet
(published by City of Baltimore?).
- MSA SC 5418: F. Ross Myers Collection.
Charles Varle, A Map of
Frederick and Washington Counties, 1808.
- MSA SC 5419: Snowden Collection.
Hazel G. Snowden, Joy and Pain,
(Annapolis: Hazel G. Snowden, 1998). The author's uncle, John Snowden, was the
last person to go to the gallows in Anne Arundel County.
- MSA SC 5420 Robert Barnett, Sr. Collection.
Final distribution, estate
of Thomas Moore Goldsborough (b. 1779) of Caroline County.
- MSA SC 5421 Paul Allen Slide Collection.
Color slides of points of
interest throughout Maryland.
- MSA SC 5422 British Library Collection.
"A Charge Delivered to the
Grand Jury of the County of Middlesex" by William Mainwaring, 1792 (bound
pamphlet). See M 12907.
- MSA SC 5423 The Stemp-Currier Collection.
Papers and correspondence
relating to F. Ronald Stemp (1904-c.1980) and Martha Currier Stemp
(1914-1987). The Stemps, after living in New York, Bermuda and elsewhere,
settled in Annapolis, Maryland during the 1970s.
- MSA SC 5424 Packman Newspaper Collection.
Daily Globe (Washington, DC) and New Orleans Louisiana Bee (New
- MSA SC 5425 Barclay Haskins Trippe Collection.
Genealogical chart (c.
1845) of Goldsborough Family featuring Robert Goldsborough (c. 1740-1799), Chief
Justice of the General Court of Maryland, and his heirs. A sampling of
surnames noted include: Trippe, Rogers, Pascault, and Steele.
- MSA SC 5426 The William Allen Blankenship, Jr., Collection.
John Hewes to his father Edward, discussing his sale of the Baltimore newspaper
Federal Gazette and Baltimore Daily Advertiser to William Gywnn.
- MSA SC 5427 The Beard Collection of Savings Bank of Baltimore Records.
Miscellaneous records and correspondence relating to the Savings Bank of
- MSA SC 5428 Brandenburger & Davis Genealogical Collection.
Genealogical information compiled by Brandenburger & Davis, a legal firm
dealing with international probate research.
- MSA SC 5429 Mount De Sales Academy for Girls Collection.
Richard C. and
Susan M. Randt, comp. "Interment Data, Census Schedules, and Other Records
for Nuns of the Visitation Order Who Formerly Staffed Mount de Sales Academy,
Catonsville, MD [Covering the period 1852-1979]" Ellicott City, MD 2001.
- MSA SC 5430 Moale Collection.
Correspondence to Randle H. Moale,
- MSA SC 5431 Goldman Newspaper Collection.
Bound copies of two New Jersey
newspapers: The Newark Evening Courier (c. 1867-90) and the Newark
Morning Register (1877-1884); approximately 27 volumes in all.
- MSA SC 5437 Anish Newspaper Collection.
Traveller (Boston), 1853-1867, and Boston Advertiser (Boston)
- MSA SC 5439 Galesville Heritage Society Collection.
Atlas, George M.
Hopkins, Hopkins Atlas of Anne Arundel County, 1878.
© Maryland State Archives