St. Vincent de Paul Collection
MSA SC 2533
An Archives of Maryland Publication

Collection Dates: 1834-1978
Collection Description: St. Vincent de Paul Church, Archdiocese of Baltimore, Roman Catholic, Baltimore City, 120 N. Front Street: baptisms 1834-1978; marriages 1834-1978; burials 1870-1893; interments 1905-1978; confirmations 1871-1910, 1916-1969, 1974.
Collection History: St. Vincent de Paul Church on North Front St. was dedicated November 7, 1841. Many of its original congregation had been members of old St. James Church (at the corner of Eager and Aisquith Streets). The latter church was used by the English speaking Catholics of that area until 1840 when St. James was placed in the hands of the Redemptorists Father while the new St. Alphonsus Church, designed for Redemptorists and German speaking Catholics, was under construction. At this time St. James became too small for the English speaking population of the church. So with the approval of Archbishop Eccleston, and under the leadership of the Rev. Father John Baptist Gildea, St. Vincent de Paul was erected to accommodate the Catholics living in the Central Avenue, Gay and Pratt Street section of the city.
Medium: Microfilm

M 1611
Baptismal register 1834-1845 indexed; index, baptisms 1845-1855; baptismal registers 1845-1855, 1856-1868, 1868-1880 indexed