Archives of Maryland
(Biographical Series)

George (b. circa 1786 - d. ?)
MSA SC 5496-001635
War of 1812 Escaped Slave, Harford County, Maryland, 1814

Biography:

In September 1814, George escaped his enslavement along with the slaves Peter and Mark. All three men were slaves of Aquila Nelson, in Harford County, whose farm stood near the Chesapeake Bay. They reached the British frigate Menelaus under the command of Sir Peter Parker, and Nelson's slaves, Primus, joined them a few days later. The escape took place "shortly before the Battle of North Point."

A short time later, the four men were using their knowledge of the area to guide the British up the Bush River on a raid. The troops burned three ships at Park Point, near Nelson's home, and stole the schooner Fox from Stump & Company at Harford Mills.1
 

Geographic representation of Nelson property, George's escape, and overview of slavery in Harford County on historical map available here (Google Earth required to open file). 



Footnotes

1.     Claim of Aquila Nelson, Case 803, Case Files, compiled ca. 1827 - ca. 1828, documenting the period ca. 1814 - ca. 1828, *ARC Identifier 1174160 / MLR Number PI 177 190,* National Archives, College Park.
3.     Walter W. Preston, History of Harford County, Maryland (Baltimore, MD: Press of Sun Book Office, 1901) 217.
 

Return to George's Introductory Page


This web site is presented for reference purposes under the doctrine of fair use. When this material is used, in whole or in part, proper citation and credit must be attributed to the Maryland State Archives. PLEASE NOTE: The site may contain material from other sources which may be under copyright. Rights assessment, and full originating source citation, is the responsibility of the user.


Tell Us What You Think About the Maryland State Archives Website!


[ Archives' Home Page  ||  Maryland Manual On-Line  ||  Reference & Research
||  Search the Archives   ||  Education & Outreach  ||  Archives of Maryland Online ]

Governor     General Assembly    Judiciary     Maryland.Gov

Copyright September 20, 2017 Maryland State Archives