William Harwood (1809-1900)
MSA SC 3520-13623
The Hammond-Harwood House is located at 19 Maryland Avenue, at the intersection of Maryland Avenue and King George Street, Annapolis. The house was designed by architect William Buckland and built in 1774 for Mathias Hammond, a well-known Annapolis lawyer. The Harwoods inherited the property in 1857 and occupied the home until 1924. A National Historic Landmark, the house features ornately carved moldings and is an example of the Georgian architecture common to colonial America. Inside the house are furnishings from the mid-eighteenth and early-nineteenth centuries as well as portraits by Charles Willson Peale and Rembrandt Peale. The Hammond-Harwood House has been a museum since 1926 and is open to the public.