George W. Dobbin (1809-1891)
MSA SC 3520-13142
Delegate, Constitutional Convention of 1867, Baltimore City
Judge, Supreme Bench of Baltimore City, 1867-1882
Born George Washington Dobbin on July 14, 1809 in Baltimore, Maryland. Son of George Dobbin (d. 1811, who immigrated from Northern Ireland in 1798; owner and editor, Baltimore American. Attended Wentworth Academy; St. Mary's College, Baltimore; University of Maryland, LL.B. Studied law with David Hoffman. Admitted to the bar, 1830. Died at "The Lawn," May 28, 1891.
Served as lieutenant colonel, Cavalry of Maryland, in Mexican War. Delegate to Constitutional Convention, Baltimore City District 2, 1867; chair, Judiciary Committee. Elected to the Supreme Bench of Baltimore City, November 1, 1867, as one of the original members. One of the leaders of the effort to re-found the University of Maryland Law School; Dean of the law school, 1869. Permitted by the legislature to continue to serve as judge past the mandatory retirement age 70 in order to complete his term. Retired from the bench, November 3, 1882. Co-founder, Maryland Historical Society. Member, board of visitors, Maryland Hospital for the Insane. Founder and director, Baltimore Library Company. Trustee, Peabody Institute; Johns Hopkins University; Johns Hopkins Hospital. Regent, University of Maryland. President, Susquehanna and Tidewater Canal Company. Director, Baltimore and Ohio Railroad.
Return to George W. Dobbin's Introductory Page