MSA SC 3520-12468
Source: Wilbur F. Coyle, The Mayors of Baltimore (Reprinted
from The Baltimore Municipal Journal, 1919), 33-34.
|Jacob Small was Mayor of Baltimore, 1826-1828; 1828-1830; 1830 to March
31st, 1831, when he resigned and William Steuart was elected to serve the
unexpired part of the term which ended in 1832.
The Electors for Mayor Small's first administration were chosen October 2nd, 1826, but the Legislature of 1827 amended the law, the date of voting for Mayoralty Electors being changed from the third Monday in October to the first Monday of the same month. Hence, for the other administrations Electors were balloted for October 20th, 1828, and October 18th, 1830, respectively.
During Mayor Small's incumbency Harford Run (Central Avenue) was walled in from Baltimore to Pratt street; the limits of direct taxation were extended and a system of garbage collection was inaugurated. The House of Industry, established in 1812, became the House of Refuge in 1831 and managers on the part of the City were appointed. This institution is now (1919) the Maryland School for Boys. The nucleus of Patterson Park was accepted in 1827. The Baltimore and Ohio Railroad was founded in 1828. "The Cove," extending east from Jones Falls, was partially filled in during 1829. Washington Monument, 180 feet high, was completed November 25th, 1829. This was the first monument erected to George Washington and Baltimore was thereafter known as the Monumental City.
The office of Commissioners of Public Schools and the position of Health Officer (now Quarantine Officer) were created. Commissioners of Registry for each ward were appointed; Peale's Museum Building, Holliday near Saratoga Street, was acquired and a used as a City Hall for years. Provision for the erection of a monument to Colonel Armistead* was made. Ordinance to erect wooden bridges over Jones Falls at Bath and Madison streets, and across Chatworth Run at Columbia Avenue were approved. A $500,000 loan to the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad and a $250,000 loan to the Baltimore and Susquehanna Railroad were authorized during this administration. The first public school was organized September 21st, 1829, and the first building for public school purposes was erected in 1830.
The population of Baltimore in 1830 was 80,620.
* * * * * *
Mayor Small, carpenter and builder, assisted in the construction of many of the larger buildings in Baltimore. He was a member of the First Branch of the City Council from 1805 to 1809 (during this latter year he resigned), and was in the second Branch in 1823. He joined the Mechanical Company and for a time was in charge of its library.
Mr. Small served under General Samuel Smith in the volunteer army of
1814 and was lieutenant colonel (commanding officer) of the Thirtieth Regiment.
He was also quartermaster of the Third Brigade.
*The monument to Colonel Armistead was placed in City Springs, Calvert and Saratoga Streets, and was later moved to Federal Hill Park. It is not to be confused with the Armistead monument placed at Fort McHenry during Mayor Preston's administration.
|| Search the Archives || Education & Outreach || Archives of Maryland Online ] Governor General Assembly Judiciary Maryland.Gov