MSA SC 3520-2761
ANDREW SKINNER: FIRST CLERK OF ANNE ARUNDEL COUNTY
by Robert Barnes
Andrew Skinner was the first clerk of Anne Arundel County. He served
two terms and then disappeared from Anne Arundel County public life. Just
before his last
mention in the records, another Andrew Skinner appeared in Kent and Talbot counties. He was almost certainly an entirely different individual. Skinner seems to have served as clerk of the Anne Arundel County Court from 1650 to 1658 when he was succeeded by Francis Stockett. Stockett served until 1661, when Skinner was commissioned on 14 June 1661. He served as clerk for three or four more years, until some time before 14 March 1664/5, when Nathaniel Heathcote succeeded him (His Lordship's Patronage, by Donnell M. Owings, Baltimore: The Maryland Historical Society, p. 147). Neither Skordas in Early Settlers of Maryland or Gibb in Supplement to the Early Settlers of Maryland record his entry into the Province. In May 1661 Skinner was named clerk of the court again, and in December was appointed an ensign under Capt. Norwood (Archives of Maryland, hereafter ARMD, 3: 424, 444).
Andrew Skinner of Anne Arundel County apparently owned no land, but did witness several deeds. On 23 February 1663 he witnessed a deed from Thomas Turner to Andrew Gray (Anne Arundel County Land Records, hereafter AALR, IH#3: 52). On 10 August 1663 he and others witnessed an endorsement recorded on the back of a patent (AALR IH#3:14). On 10 November 1663, as clerk of the court, he noted that a patent and an assignment had been "entered upon record" (AALR WH#4: 133).
Andrew Skinner of the Eastern Shore was first mentioned in September 1657 in Kent County, when, as clerk of the assembly, he was to be paid 600 pounds of tobacco (ARMD 1: 364). Skinner was in Talbot County by 15 March 1663 when his servants Charles and Clement Jones were judged to serve him for seven and nine years respectively (ARMD 54: 366).
After that his name appeared frequently in the Talbot County Land Records (hereafter TALR) and in the Prerogative Court Testamentary Proceedings as a resident of Talbot County. He seems to have been married at least twice. On 30 September 1665 Andrew Skinner, with the consent of his wife Mary, conveyed 125 acres called The Tryangle to David Johnson and John Warner (TALR, 1: 13). Andrew married as his second wife on 28 May 1669 one Anne Snodon (ARMD 54: 601). On 17 November 1669 he was joined by his wife Anne in conveying 1150 acres called St. Michael's Fresh Run to Richard Carter (TALR 1: 86, 234). In April-May of 1669 Skinner, still in Talbot County, was to be allowed 880 pounds of tobacco from the public levy (ARMD 2: 230). In November 1678 he was named twice in the public levy: once to receive 300 pounds of tobacco, and once to receive 241 pounds (ARMD 7:87, 91).
Both Andrew Skinners - the Clerk of Anne Arundel County Court and the inhabitant of the Eastern Shore - died leaving no estate in Maryland. It is possible that they both moved to another colony, such as Virginia, or they returned to England.
Source: Archivist's Bulldog, "Andrew Skinner: First Clerk of Anne Arundel County by Robert Barnes," October 26, 1998.
"The records of this county were burned in 1704, but many deeds were
at once reentered from the originals. Goldsborough names as the first
two clerks Andrew
Skinner (1650-58) and Francis Stockett (1658-61) but on what authority I can not discover."
"Andrew Skinner, com. 14 June 1661."
Source: Owings, Donnell MacClure. His Lordship's Patronage: Offices of Profit in Colonial Maryland. (Baltmore: Maryland Historical Society, 1953.), 147.
Return to Introductory Page
Return to list of Anne Arundel County Circuit Court Clerks
|| Search the Archives || Education & Outreach || Archives of Maryland Online ] Governor General Assembly Judiciary Maryland.Gov