"Home of First Governor Will Be Sold By Marchand Estate Heirs." The Evening Capital, July 30, 1935.
"The oldest house in the city, at 211 Prince George street, the home
of the late Francis T. Marchand will be offered for sale by executors of
the estate, John T.
Marchand announced today.
"Mr. Marchand was named executor without bond and without being required to make an inventory of the estate under the will of his late brother which was filed for probate here today.
Property To Be Divided
"Mr. Marchand left his entire estate, consisting of stocks, bonds and
his home here, to his brother and directed that he divide it with another
brother, Dr. George E.
Marchand, and two nieces, Mrs. Catherine del Valle and Mrs. Philip Welch.
"Each of the brothers will get one third of the estate and the two nieces one sixth each.
"Mr. Marchand died on July 17 at his home. He had been a resident of Annapolis since 1875 and soon after coming here he bought the house at 211 Prince
Home of Governor
"The old house is believed to have been the one built here in 1694 by
major Philip Dorsey, who also built the first St. Anne's church and King
Williams School. It
was at this house that the first colonial council in Annapolis gathered. It also was the home of Sir Francis Nicholson, the first colonial governor of the colony to live in this city.
"The subsequent owners have made changes in the plans to bring it to its present appearance. These changes have been in the for of additions to the house and all of the original structure remains.
"On the property are the old slave quarters, long unused except for storage purposes, the old carriage house and a garden that extends back from Prince George
street very nearly to State Circle.
"The furnishings of the house which are mostly family heirlooms and property of relatives, will not be put up for sale."