2330 MUNICIPAL CHARTERS
(38) JUNKYARDS - To prohibit or regulate the establishment or maintenance
of junkyards or yards for the storage of automobiles.
(39) LICENSES AND PERMITS - Subject to any restrictions imposed by the
public general laws of the State, to license and regulate all persons beginning or
conducting transient or permanent business in the town for the sale of any goods,
wares, merchandise, or services, to license and regulate any business, occupations,
trade, calling or place of amusement or business; to establish and collect fees and
charges for all licenses and permits issued under the authority of this charter for
the purpose of regulation and for revenue.
(40) LIENS - To provide that any valid charges, taxes, or assessments made
against any real property within the town shall be liens upon the property, to be
collected as municipal taxes are collected.
(41) LIGHTS - To provide for the lighting of the town; to regulate private
lighting to prevent it from becoming a nuisance or disturbing the privacy of other
(42) LITTER - To prohibit the dumping, dropping, or abandonment of all types
of trash, paper, garbage, earth, or gravel within the city limits by persons or
organizations and to provide a penalty therefore.
(43) LIVESTOCK - to regulate and prohibit the running at large of cattle,
horses, swine, fowl, sheep, goats, dogs, or other animals; to authorize the
impounding, keeping, sale, and redemption of such animals when found in
violation of the ordinance in such cases provided.
(44) MARKETS - To obtain by lease or rent, own, construct, purchase,
operate, and maintain public markets within the town.
(45) MERIT SYSTEM - To establish a merit system in connection with the
appointment of all municipal officials and employees not elected or appointed
under the Constitution or public general or public local laws of the State, and to
request and avail themselves of the facilities of the Commissioner of State
Employment and Registration for the administration of such merit system without
(46) MINOR PRIVILEGES - To regulate or prevent the use of public ways,
sidewalks, and public places for signs, awnings, posts, steps, railings, entrances,
racks, posting handbills and advertisements, and display of goods, wares, and
(47) MOTOR VEHICLES - To provide regulations and ordinances for the
control of motor vehicles, traffic and parking within the city.
(48) NOISE - To regulate or prohibit unreasonable ringing of bells, crying of
goods, sounding of whistles and horns, or any other offensive sound or noise.
(49) NUISANCES - To prevent or abate by appropriate ordinances all
nuisances in the town which are so defined by common law, by this charter, or by
the laws of the State of Maryland, whether they be herein specifically named or
not; to regulate, to prohibit, to control the location of, to require the removal from
the town of all trading in, handling of or manufacture of any commodity which is
or may become offensive, obnoxious, or injurious to the public comfort or health.
In this connection the town may regulate, prohibit, control the location of, or
require the removal from the town of such things as stockyards, slaughterhouses,
cattle or hogpens, tanneries, abbatoirs, candle or soap factories, boneboiling, meat
roasting or barbecue establishments, and renderies. This listing is by way of