1244 Laws of Maryland [Ch. 580
(9) Recovery of Funds. A sum equal to the amount of such
additional expenses of training shall be recoverable by the State of
Maryland by any means the State Law Department may prescribe.
(10) Training Specialists. (A) Use of either training or subject
matter specialists on a contract or "purchase of training services"
basis to plan or conduct training courses for State employees may be
appropriate when all of the following conditions exist:
(1) Adequate training in the subject field is not otherwise rea-
(2) The specialist can adequately fulfill the training need at rea-
(B) Whenever possible and practical, the use of specialists in
the fulfillment of training needs will be made available to all depart-
ments of the State government and agencies.
(11) Payment of Expenses. (1) Authorization for payment of
necessary expenses of training departments are authorized:
(A) To pay all or any part of the salary, pay, or compensation
(excluding pay for overtime, holiday, and night differential) of
each employee who is selected and assigned for out-service training;
(B) To pay in advance or reimbuse the employee for all or any
part of the necessary expenses of out-service training including the
necessary costs of:
(1) Travel in accordance with the standard travel regulations;
(2) Tuition and related fees;
(3) Library and laboratory services;
(4) Purchase or rental of books;
(5) Other facilities or services directly related to the training of
There is hereby established a training program for State employees
to develop them according to their capabilities, to train them to per-
form their official duties with maximum efficiency, and to attract
personnel to State employment. Staff supervision of all manpower
training and development under this program, except as otherwise
provided by law, is the responsibility of the Secretary of Personnel
and shall be carried out under such policy, regulations, and instruc-
tions as may be issued by him in accordance with Section 11 of this
Article. Public funds may be expended for supplementing and sub-
sidizing training and development only when such expenditures have
been certified by the Secretary of Personnel as being in accordance
with State training policies and regulations.
Sec. 2. And be it further enacted, That this Act shall take effect
July 1, 1971.
Approved May 17, 1971.