clear space clear space clear space white space
 r c h i v e s   o f   M a r y l a n d   O n l i n e

PLEASE NOTE: The searchable text below was computer generated and may contain typographical errors. Numerical typos are particularly troubling. Click “View pdf” to see the original document.

  Maryland State Archives | Index | Help | Search
search for:
clear space
white space
A Biographical Dictionary of the Maryland Legislature 1635-1789 by Edward C. Papenfuse, et. al.
Volume 426, Page 659   View pdf image (33K)
 Jump to  
clear space clear space clear space white space


justice October 15, 1796, and held office until
October 10, 1801, when he was appointed asso-
ciate justice of the Maryland Court of Appeals;
resigned his justiceship in 1806 to resume private
law practice. LOCAL OFFICES: Committee of Ob-
servation, Frederick County, elected 1776; clerk,
Frederick County Court, 1777-1778 (resigned
when he started his law practice); chief justice,
Frederick County Court, appointed March 20,
1797; All Saints' Parish Vestry, Frederick County,
1804-1808. MILITARY SERVICE: ensign, Frederick
County Militia (Middle District), a part of the
34th Battalion, and aide to Brig. Gen. Thomas
Johnson (1732-1819), 1776. our OF STATE SERV-
ICE: delegate, Continental Congress, 1781 (elected
on January 16, 1781, to fill vacancy); presidential
elector, 1792; senator, U.S. Congress, 1793
(elected to fill vacancy; seated on February 4,
1793), 1793-1795, 1795-1796 (resigned on Oc-
tober 24, 1796); declined an appointment as one
of the commissioners for Washington, D.C., 1794.


assessed value £510.0.0, including 7 slaves, 6 serv-
ants, and 264 oz. plate, Frederick Town Hundred,
Frederick County, 1782; 22 slaves, Frederick
County, 1790. LAND AT FIRST ELECTION: 482 acres
in Frederick County (all by purchase). SIGNIFI-
TION AND DEATH: purchased parts of two lots in
Frederick Town, which included his dwelling
house, a yard, garden, and stable in 1782, plus
one other lot by 1782; purchased more than 250
acres in Frederick County in 1784, probably for
speculation, with Joseph Sim (?-1793) and Thomas
Sim Lee (1745-1819); between 1788 and 1797
purchased 3 pieces of property adjacent to his
home and incorporated them into his dwelling lot;
purchased 1,851 acres in Frederick County be-
tween 1781 and 1802, plus 6 lots, probably in
Frederick Town (643 acres and the town lots were
confiscated British property); patented 1,467 acres
in Frederick and Allegany (now Garrett) counties
between 1785 and 1794; sold 847 acres in Fred-
erick County between 1783 and 1795 and all of
his town lots except the property where he re-
sided. WEALTH AT DEATH. DIED: on November 26,
1808; buried at All Saints' Cemetery in Frederick
Town, later removed to Mt. Olivet Cemetery in
$189,440.18 current money (including 57 slaves,
substantial livestock, and grain taken from two
farms, as well as his town property); FB, $7,568.49.
LAND: ca. 3,200 acres, all in Frederick County
except for one small tract located in what is now

Garrett County, plus the Frederick Town lot where
he resided.

in 1706 in Prince George's County; second son.
NATIVE: third generation. RESIDED: at "Sprigg's
Request Plantation," Prince George's (later be-
came Frederick) County; Bladensburg, Prince
George's County, 1761-1763. FAMILY BACK-
GROUND. FATHER: Thomas Prather (1673-1712),
son of Jonathan Prather (?-1680), who immi-
grated from Eton Water, Wiltshire, England, ca.
1650, and wife Jane (?-1713), who was probably
the daughter of George Goldsmith of Baltimore
County. In 1682 Jane married a wealthy Prince
George's County tobacco planter, John Smith.
STEPFATHER: Capt. Stephen Yoakley of Charles
County. MOTHER: Martha (?-by 1747), daughter
of Thomas Sprigg (1630-1704) of Calvert County
and probably his second wife Eleanor, who was
the daughter of John Nuthall. UNCLE OR HALF
UNCLE: Thomas Sprigg (by 1670-by 1739). AUNT:
Mary Sprigg, who married Thomas Stockett (1667-
1732), son of Thomas Stockett (?-1671). BROTH-
ERS: Thomas (1704-1785), who married first, in
1725 Elizabeth Claggett (?-1765) of "Weston,"
and married second, Jennet (probably Smiley).
Thomas was a justice of Prince George's County
in 1747, justice of Frederick County, 1748-1775,
and sheriff of Frederick County in 1762. Philip
Gilleno (1708-?). Aaron (1711-1777), who mar-
ried his first cousin, Jane Prather. SISTERS: Eleanor
(ca. 1699-post 1749), who married Thomas Wil-
liams of Prince George's County; Rachel (1702-
?), who probably married Joseph Milburn Simms
of Charles County. FIRST COUSINS: Sarah Pierce
(?-ca. 1700), who married John Beale, of Lawson
(ca. 1674-1751); Elizabeth Sprigg (?-1787), who
married Turner Wootten (ca. 1695-1760); Priscilla
Sprigg, who married Ralph Crabb (?-1733/34);
Osborn Sprigg (ca. 1707-1749/50); and Edward
Sprigg (1697-1751). NEPHEW: Elisha Williams
(1735-?). MARRIED on February 17, 1725/26, his
first cousin Elizabeth Nuthall (1712-?), in St.
Barnabus Church. Elizabeth subsequently mar-
ried William Deakins, Sr. (1700-?), of Rockville.
CHILDREN. SONS: Josiah (1727-?), who married
Jane Deakins; Jeremiah (1731-1807), who mar-
ried Anne Edmonston, and resided in Fayette
County, Kentucky; Aaron (1735-died at birth);
and Zachariah (1736-?), who married Rosamond
Callahan. DAUGHTERS: Martha (1730-?), who
married James Odell of Anne Arundel County;
Eleanor (1734-?), who married Josiah Beall;



clear space
clear space
white space

Please view image to verify text. To report an error, please contact us.
A Biographical Dictionary of the Maryland Legislature 1635-1789 by Edward C. Papenfuse, et. al.
Volume 426, Page 659   View pdf image (33K)
 Jump to  

This web site is presented for reference purposes under the doctrine of fair use. When this material is used, in whole or in part, proper citation and credit must be attributed to the Maryland State Archives. PLEASE NOTE: The site may contain material from other sources which may be under copyright. Rights assessment, and full originating source citation, is the responsibility of the user.

Tell Us What You Think About the Maryland State Archives Website!

An Archives of Maryland electronic publication.
For information contact

©Copyright  August 02, 2018
Maryland State Archives