[photograph of a portrait of Edna Amos Nice]

Edna Amos Nice (1882-1955)

MSA SC 1545-1022. 1961 by Stanislaw Rembski (b. 1896). Commissioned by Legislature at suggestion of Mrs. J. Millard Tawes.

Edna Viola Amos Nice was the wife of Harry Whinna Nice (1877-1941), the fiftieth governor of Maryland, who served in office from 1935-1939. Born in Baltimore, Mrs. Nice's ancestors settled in Somerset County early in the seventeenth century. She was educated in "The Girls' Latin School" prior to marrying on June 7, 1905. She and Governor Nice had two sons, Harry W. Nice, Jr., and another who died when a year old. During the Nice Administration, Government House underwent extensive renovation, prompted by concerns for the safety of the structure, which drastically transformed the original Victorian mansion of 1868 into the Georgian style "Colonial Revival" house seen today. The Nice family moved into the refurbished house in July 1936. It featured Colonial period design inspired furnishings throughout the state rooms, many of which remain in Government House today.

This information resource of the Maryland State Archives is presented here for fair use in the public domain. When this material is used, in whole or in part, proper citation and credit must be attributed to the Maryland State Archives. PLEASE NOTE: Rights assessment for associated source material is the responsibility of the user.

Tell Us What You Think About the Maryland State Archives Website!

[ Archives' Home Page  ||  All About Maryland  ||  Maryland Manual On-Line  ||  Reference & Research
||  Search the Archives   ||  Education & Outreach  ||  Archives of Maryland Online ]

Governor     General Assembly    Judiciary     Maryland.Gov

Copyright December 09, 1998 Maryland State Archives