John W. Locks:
In the 1850's, John Lock (Locks) lived on South Wolfe Street at 65 S. Wolfe. He owned two other houses on S. Wolfe, numbers 55 and 57. In 1865, Locks began his own livery and stable business at 59 and 61 S. Wolfe. J. W. Locks owned several other homes, a "Caulkers Hall", and numerous lots of ground. His houses and businesses were at the center of a thriving and prosperous African American community, just north of Fells Point.
Although parts of his estate no longer exist, his house at 65 S. Wolfe St. and business at 59 - 61 S. Wolfe are still extant.
The addresses above have changed and are now known as follows:
204 S. Wolfe (55)
206 S. Wolfe (57)
208 S. Wolfe (59)
210 S. Wolfe (61)
214 S. Wolfe (65)
Land Records for 214 S. Wolfe (65)
Return to "Civil Rights & Politics" Introduction
Return to The Road From Frederick To Thurgood Introduction
|| Search the Archives || Education & Outreach || Archives of Maryland Online ] Governor General Assembly Judiciary Maryland.Gov
© Copyright February 03, 1998 Maryland State Archives