Archives of Maryland
Montgomery County, Maryland
Owned by Richard Thomas
Jr., 1794-1821; Roger B. Thomas, 1821-1823
Lot 37 lies in the eastern
portion of Market Street in Brookeville,
Maryland. In 1814, the lot was owned by Richard
Thomas Jr., the founder of the
Thomas did not live on the lot and instead built a
single-family home to house the family of the miller who operated his mill
immediately across the street.2
In 1823, two
years after Thomas's death, his son Roger and several family
members submitted a Deed of Partition to the Montgomery County Court in
which they divided their father's real
estate equally amongst themselves. Under this agreement, Roger took
ownership of both the miller's house on lot 37 and the mill itself.3
The Bready family, who operated Thomas's mill in the late nineteenth
century, stands in front of the miller's house which stood on lot 37.
Kyle Bacon, DAR
Research Fellow, 2012; Megan O'Hern, 2014.
- Plat of
Brookeville, likely copy of original by Richard Thomas, c. 1800 [MSA SC
COUNTY COMMISSIONERS OF THE TAX
(Assessment Record), 1813 Tax Assessment
(District 4), Lots and Houses in Brookeville, MdHR 20,115-3-1
[MSA C1110-3, 01/18/14/019]. The
values stated in tax assessments do not necessarily represent true
property values, and likely understate values significantly.
COUNTY COURT (Land Records) November 3, 1823, Deed of Partition amongst
the children of Richard Thomas Jr.
Liber X, p. 120 [MSA CE 148-25].
Copyright June 18, 2014
Maryland State Archives