Baltimore City seal - click for Home The Baltimore City Circuit Court
& Baltimore Bar Library Art Collection
in Connection with the Maryland State Archives

MSA SC 5590

Clarence M. Mitchell Jr. Courthouse
black line
John P. Poe John Prentiss Poe, Esq. (1836-1909)
Thomas C. Corner (1865-1938)
Oil on canvas, 1915
67 H x 55 W in.
Presented, 1915
Donor, unknown
Owner, Baltimore City Circuit Court
Private Career:
Admitted to the bar, 1857
Librarian, Library Company of the Baltimore Bar, 1856-1857
Charter Member, Maryland State Bar Association, 1896-1897
3rd President, Maryland State Bar Association, 1898-1899
21st President, Bar Association of Baltimore City, 1899-1900
Professor, University of Maryland School of Law, 1870-1884
Dean, University of Maryland School of Law, 1884-1909
Authored 4 editions of Poe’s Pleading and Practice at Law, 1880
Public Service:
Regent, University of Maryland, 1869
Baltimore City Counselor, 1882-1883
President of the City Tax Commission, 1885
Maryland State Senator, Baltimore City, 1890-1892
Attorney General of Maryland, 1891-1895
Delegate, Democratic National Convention, 1904
Named one of the pre-eminent Baltimore lawyers and judges of the 20th century. Codifier of the public general and local laws of Maryland, and the ordinances of the Mayor and City Council of Baltimore, 1888, 1904.

Historical & Biographical Series at the Maryland State Archives

This information resource of the Maryland State Archives is presented here for fair use in the public domain. When this material is used, in whole or in part, proper citation and credit must be attributed to the Maryland State Archives. PLEASE NOTE: Rights assessment for associated source material is the responsibility of the user.

Tell Us What You Think About the Maryland State Archives Website!

[ Archives' Home Page  ||  All About Maryland  ||  Maryland Manual On-Line  ||  Reference & Research
||  Search the Archives   ||  Education & Outreach  ||  Archives of Maryland Online ]

Governor     General Assembly    Judiciary     Maryland.Gov

© Copyright November 04, 2005 Maryland State Archives