Baltimore City seal - click for Home The Baltimore City Circuit Court
& Baltimore Bar Library Art Collection
in Connection with the Maryland State Archives

MSA SC 5590

Clarence M. Mitchell Jr. Courthouse
black line

Harry Cole
Hon. Harry Cole (1921-1999)
Simmie Knox (1936- )
Photographic reproduction, 1999
39 H x 35 W in.
Presented, October 13, 1999
Donor, Commissioned by the Baltimore Courthouse & Law Museum Foundation
Owner, Baltimore City Circuit Court
Private Career:
Admitted to the bar, 1949
Practiced law at Brown, Allen & Watts, 1949-1951
Public Service:
Justice of the Peace, Baltimore City, 1951-1952
Assistant Attorney General of Maryland, 1953-1954
Maryland State Senator, Baltimore City, 1955-1958
First chairman, Maryland Advisory Committee to the U.S. Civil Rights Commission, 1958
Associate Judge, Municipal Court of Baltimore City, 1967
Associate Judge, Supreme Bench of Baltimore City, 1967-1977
Associate Judge, Maryland Court of Appeals, 1977-1991
The first African-American elected to the Maryland General Assembly. The first African-American Assistant Attorney General of Maryland. The first African-American appointed judge of the Maryland Court of Appeals; appointed by Acting Governor Blair Lee IV. Named one of the pre-eminent Baltimore lawyers and judges of the 20th century.
 Historical & Biographical Series at the Maryland State Archives

This information resource of the Maryland State Archives is presented here for fair use in the public domain. When this material is used, in whole or in part, proper citation and credit must be attributed to the Maryland State Archives. PLEASE NOTE: Rights assessment for associated source material is the responsibility of the user.

Tell Us What You Think About the Maryland State Archives Website!

[ Archives' Home Page  ||  All About Maryland  ||  Maryland Manual On-Line  ||  Reference & Research
||  Search the Archives   ||  Education & Outreach  ||  Archives of Maryland Online ]

Governor     General Assembly    Judiciary     Maryland.Gov

© Copyright October 26, 2005 Maryland State Archives