Archives of Maryland
Historical List
Rent Roll Keepers, 1641-1774

Source: Edward C. Papenfuse, et al., Archives of Maryland, Historical List,
new series, Vol. 1. Annapolis, MD: Maryland State Archives, 1990.

Rent Roll Keepers were responsible for recording information regarding land sales, acreage, and the like,
in order to produce an accurate record of record of rents owed to Lord Baltimore by owners of patented land.
Prior to 1707, the task fell variously to the Secretary, or to clerks in each county. The position was divided
into two districts in 1733. The position ceased to exist upon abolition of the quit-rent system with the
advent of the Revolution.

See Donnell M. Owings, His Lordships Patronage: Offices of Profit in Colonial Maryland, pps. 87-90.
 

Rent Roll Keepers

1707-1729  James Carroll Anne Arundel County
1730/31-1733  Richard Bennett, III Queen Anne's County

Rent Roll Keepers of the Eastern Shore

1733-1749  Richard Bennett, III Queen Anne's County
1750-1756  Col. Edward Tilghman Queen Anne's County
1756-1775  William Thomas Anne Arundel County

Rent Roll Keepers of the Western Shore

1733-1753  Benjamin Tasker, Sr. Annapolis
1753-1768  Col. Edward Lloyd Talbot County
1768  Maj. Daniel of St. Thomas Jenifer Annapolis
1768-1772  Reuben Meriwether Annapolis
1772-1774  William Hayward Dorchester County 


Return to Maryland Government, Historical List


This information resource of the Maryland State Archives is presented here for fair use in the public domain. When this material is used, in whole or in part, proper citation and credit must be attributed to the Maryland State Archives. PLEASE NOTE: Rights assessment for associated source material is the responsibility of the user.


Tell Us What You Think About the Maryland State Archives Website!


[ Archives' Home Page  ||  All About Maryland  ||  Maryland Manual On-Line  ||  Reference & Research
||  Search the Archives   ||  Education & Outreach  ||  Archives of Maryland Online ]

Governor     General Assembly    Judiciary     Maryland.Gov

© Copyright March 05, 2013Maryland State Archives