Source: Edward C. Papenfuse, et al.,
Archives of Maryland, Historical List,
new series, Vol. 1. Annapolis, MD: Maryland State Archives, 1990.
Originally called the Deputy Surveyor General when it was first created
in 1683, the Examiner General was responsible for
verifying certificates of survey, and was appointed by the Governor. The position was abolished under the Constitution of
1776, but was eventually reestablished in 1782.
M. Owings, His Lordship's Patronage: Offices of Profit in Colonial Maryland,
|1683-1685||Robert Jones||Calvert County|
|1685||Clement Hill, Sr.||St. Mary's County|
|1685/6-1687||Maj. Thomas Taylor||Dorchester County|
|1687-1693/4||Henry Brent||Calvert County|
|1693/4-1708||Clement Hill, Sr.||St. Mary's County|
Henry Darnall, II 
Prince George's County
|1712-1716||Henry Darnall, II||Prince George's County|
|1718-1720||Bennett Lowe||St. Mary's County|
|1720-1722||Nicholas Lowe||St. Mary's County|
|1722-1723||John Gresham, Sr.||Annapolis|
|1732-1738||Richard Francis||Anne Arundel County|
|1738-1748||Benjamin Young, Sr.||Prince George's County|
|1761-1776||Dr. Upton Scott||Annapolis|
1. Jointly appointed to office in 1708, Digges for the Eastern Shore, and Darnall for the Western. Darnall was appointed the sole Examiner General in 1712. See Owings, p. 175.
|| Search the Archives || Education & Outreach || Archives of Maryland Online ] Governor General Assembly Judiciary Maryland.Gov