First Session: January 25 - January 29; February 8, 26; March 5; March 12 - March 24, 1637/381
Edward C. Papenfuse, et al., A Biographical Dictionary of the Maryland Legislature, 1635-1789, Vols. 1&2. Annapolis, MD: Maryland State Archives, 1979, 1985.
|Freemen in Attendance2|
Leonard Calvert, Lt. Gov.
Thomas Cornwaleys, of the Council
Robert Wintour, of the Council
John Lewger, of the Council
Jerome Hawley, of the Council
George Evelyn, Comm., Kent Isle, sw3
Richard Garnett [Gardiner], Sr.
Thomas Morris [Maurice, Morrison]
Edward Parrie [Perry]
1. The Assembly met only during the dates listed and was otherwise in adjournment.
2. Membership is listed generally in order of appearance. Many of the men attended for only a brief period, while others attended regularly. Twenty-four men, who did not attend personally, were represented by proxies.
3. The clerk erred several times the first day of the first session in referring to "Captain Robert Evelyn" as commander of Kent Isle. The commander was actually George Evelyn, commissioned in December 1637. By the second day of the session, the error was noted and Robert Evelyn was no longer referred to as commander of Kent Isle, although a man of that name did attend subsequent assemblies.
4. Robert Philpott, Thomas Bradnox, and Edward Beckler were elected to this Assembly to represent the freemen of Kent Isle. The freemen were also eligible to attend, however, and several did.
5. A carpenter named John Robinson attended this Assembly, but a second man with the same name may also have been present.
to Maryland Government, Historical List
|| Search the Archives || Education & Outreach || Archives of Maryland Online ] Governor General Assembly Judiciary Maryland.Gov