Getting Started at the Archives
|Directions||Hours||Desks & Lockers||Orientation/Reference||Microfilm|
|Photocopies||Telephones &Rest Rooms||Food, Drink & Smoking||Publication|
DESKS/LOCKERS You are assigned a desk number at the start of the day. A locker for that desk number is provided for your use throughout the day. Here you should store pens, books, bags, carrying cases, briefcases, and handbags. You may take only pencils, paper, and research materials into the Search Room. Computers, typewriters, tape recorders, and photographic equipment may be used with permission. Personal copiers are not permitted. Pencils are available at the Circulation Desk.
MICROFILM Self-service copies of microfilm are available in the search room. Debit cards to operate the reader printers are available at the registration desk. Microfilm is only available for purchasing see fee schedule for pricing information.
- Patrons may only use one reel of microfilm at a time.
- Patrons will be issued a Yellow Block with their desk number, as well as a key, a desk tag, and a debit card. All items will have the same number (desk number).
- Patrons will place the Yellow Block with their desk number in the exact place of the box of microfilm they select from the drawer.
- Patrons will return microfilm to the place from which it came, using their Yellow Block as a reminder.
- Patrons will return the Yellow Block to the receptionist when checking out.
- Patrons will adhere to the separate microfilm reader sign-up policy.
- Patrons may use the reader-printers only for copying and then only for 15 minutes or less.
- If patrons have any problems or questions, they should consult reference staff or our volunteers.
PHOTOCOPIES All photoduplication orders must be written and totalled by a member of the Search Room staff. Payment must be received before 4:00 p.m. in the lobby. See Fee Schedule for pricing information on photoduplication orders and for photographs. All orders must be written by our staff and paid for by 4:00 p.m.
FOOD & DRINK/SMOKING/LUNCH Food, beverages, and smoking are not allowed in the public areas of the building. An Annapolis map is available at Registration indicating lunch possibilities. You need not sign in and out at lunch.
PUBLICATION Researchers wishing to publish, reprint, or reproduce record material in any form must obtain written permission from the State Archivist. One gratis copy of any publication resulting from extensive research at the Archives would be appreciated. Our standard citation which appears on the label of any material you receive is AGENCY (Type of Record), dates, Vol/Box#, page/folder #, [MSA #]. For example, FREDERICK COUNTY REGISTER OF WILLS (Wills) A 1, pp. 420-421 [MSA C 898-1].
See Citing Documents from Archives' collections for more information.
Questions regarding Archives collections and services should be directed to the Reference Services Department at: email@example.com
|| Search the Archives || Education & Outreach || Archives of Maryland Online ] Governor General Assembly Judiciary Maryland.Gov
© Copyright May 31, 2012 Maryland State Archives