LOWE SEWALL CALVERT: GOVERNOR'S LADY AND LAND BARONESS
by Robert Barnes
Jane Lowe Sewall Calvert,
daughter of Vincent and Anne (Cavendish) Lowe, was baptized on 14 October
1633, and died in 1700/1. She had a distinguished lineage.
The Lowes were a family of gentry status from Denby, County, Derby, and
her mother was a relative of the Earl of
Shrewsbury. Her brother
and two nephews settled in Maryland, and established prosperous families.
She herself made two very good marriages. The first was to the Hon.
Henry Sewall, and the second was to Charles Calvert, b. 1637 and d. 1714/5,
3rd Lord Baltimore, and one-time Governor of Maryland. By her first
husband, Jane had one son and four daughters. Her children's marriages
formed the basis for a loyal Council for Charles Calvert. By Charles
Calvert, Jane was the mother of three sons and two daughters.
Lady Jane is noteworthy for
more than her bloodlines, however. At a time when most land grants were
made to men, she was the patent holder of numerous tracts in Maryland.
In Dorchester County she patented 600 acres called Indian Neck, 1,000 acres
called Warwick (for the home
county of her first husband),
200 acres called Secretarys Point (at one time Henry Sewall was Secretary
of the Province), and 3,000 acres called Derby (for her own county of birth).
In St. Mary's County she patented 1,200 acres called Mattapany Sewall,
which had originally been patented
by Henry Sewall for 1,000
acres. In Talbot County she patented 1,000 acres called