LOCAL BOARDS OF ELECTIONS
In Maryland,local boards of elections originated as boards of supervisors of elections. Such a board was formed first in Baltimore City in 1876 (Chapter 223, Acts of 1876). By 1892, boards of supervisors of elections were authorized for all Maryland counties (Chapter 701, Acts of 1892). These boards were renamed boards of elections effective January 1, 1999 (Chapter 585, Acts of 1998).
Allegany County Board of Elections, County Office Building, Suite 213, 701 Kelly Road, Cumberland, Maryland, July 2006. Photo by Diane F. Evartt.
Each local board of elections is responsible for maintaining voter registration, and overseeing the conduct of all State and federal elections held in its jurisdiction.
Election House, 1872-1972, Sang Run (Garrett County), Maryland, October 2015. Photo by Diane F. Evartt.
Local boards of elections are appointed to four-year terms by the Governor with Senate consent. In all but one county, each board consists of five members. Two members and one substitute come from the majority political party, and one member and substitute come from the principal minority party. In Prince George's County, the board includes five members and three substitutes (Code Election Law Article, secs. 2-201 through 2-207).
Election House sign, 1872-1972, Sang Run (Garrett County), Maryland, October 2015. Photo by Diane F. Evartt.
© Copyright November 02, 2015 Maryland State Archives