WASHINGTON COUNTY, MARYLAND

CIRCUIT COURT

CLERKS


COUNTY COURT CLERKS

Appointed by County Court Justices (Constitution of 1776, sec. 47):
1777-1800 Elie Williams
1800-1845 Otho H. Williams

Appointed by Governor to 7-year term (Chapter 224, Acts of 1836, confirmed by Chapter 160, Acts of 1837):
1845-1851 Isaac Nesbitt (R)

CIRCUIT COURT CLERKS

Elected by Voters to 6-year terms (Constitution of 1851, Art. IV, sec. 14):
1851-1865 Isaac Nesbitt (R) (died June 1, 1865)

Elected by Voters to 6-year terms (Constitution of 1864, Art. IV, sec. 29):
1865-1867 Lewis B. Nyman (R)

Elected by Voters to 6-year terms (Constitution of 1867, Art. IV, sec. 25):
1867-1873 William McK. Keppler
1873-1907 George B. Oswald (D)
1907-1909 Harry E. Baker (R)
1909-1926 Edward Oswald

Elected by Voters to 4-year terms (Constitution of 1867, Art. XVII, added by Chapter 227, Acts of 1922, ratified Nov. 7, 1922):
1926-1946 Edward Oswald
1946-1954 J. Guy Weagley
1954-1967 G. Merlin Snyder
1967-1986 Vaughn J. Baker
1986-
Dennis J. Weaver (D)

Maryland Constitutional Offices & Agencies
Maryland Departments
Maryland Independent Agencies
Maryland Executive Commissions, Committees, Task Forces, & Advisory Boards
Maryland Universities & Colleges
Maryland Counties
Maryland Municipalities
Maryland at a Glance


Maryland Manual On-Line

Search the Manual
e-mail: mdmanual@mdarchives.state.md.us


This information resource of the Maryland State Archives is presented here for fair use in the public domain. When this material is used, in whole or in part, proper citation and credit must be attributed to the Maryland State Archives. PLEASE NOTE: Rights assessment for associated source material is the responsibility of the user.


Tell Us What You Think About the Maryland State Archives Website!


[ Archives' Home Page  ||  All About Maryland  ||  Maryland Manual On-Line  ||  Reference & Research
||  Search the Archives   ||  Education & Outreach  ||  Archives of Maryland Online ]

Governor     General Assembly    Judiciary     Maryland.Gov

Copyright March 02, 2017 Maryland State Archives