CALVERT COUNTY, MARYLAND

EXECUTIVE BRANCH

EDUCATION

ORIGIN & FUNCTIONS


BOARD OF EDUCATION

Educational matters that affect Calvert County come under the control of the County Board of Education (Code Education Article, secs. 4-101 through 4-126).

The Board is composed of six members. Five are elected by the voters to four-year terms (Code Election Law Article, secs. 8-801 through 8-806). The student nonvoting member, chosen by County high school students, serves a one-year term (Code Education Article, secs. 3-301 through 3-304). Annualy, the Board elects a president and vice-president in January (Code Education Article, sec. 3-303). The Superintendent of Schools serves as executive officer, secretary, and treasurer of the Board (Code Education Article, sec. 4-102).

PUBLIC SCHOOLS

The Calvert County Public School System is governed by the County Board of Education (Code Education Article, secs. 4-101 through 4-126). In addition, through the review and approval of the annual operating and capital budgets, Calvert County government exercises authority over the County Public Schools. Moreover, through the establishment and monitoring of various financial and academic policies and regulations, the State Department of Education also has considerable oversight of county public schools. Indeed, under Maryland law, the State Department of Education works with county public schools to comply with requirements and mandates of federal law.

In Calvert County, the Public School System has twenty-two schools: 4 high schools, 6 middle schools, and 12 elementary schools. It also is responsible for a career and technology academy, and a special education center. In Fiscal Year 2016, some 15,569 students were enrolled in the County's public schools.

SUPERINTENDENT OF SCHOOLS
The Superintendent of Schools administers the Calvert County Public School System (Code Education Article, secs. 4-102; 4-201 through 4-206).

Since 1916, the Superintendent of Schools has been appointed to four-year terms by the Board of Education.


COLLEGE OF SOUTHERN MARYLAND (PRINCE FREDERICK CAMPUS)

The College of Southern Maryland is the community college for southern Maryland. The Prince Frederick campus of the College of Southern Maryland began when the Community College at Calvert County organized in 1980. The College was made part of the College of Southern Maryland on July 1, 2000, and reformed as the Prince Frederick campus in 2005.


LIBRARY

The Calvert Library started in 1959 as the County's first public library. Located on Main Street in Prince Frederick, the Library moved in 1961 to Fourth Street (now Duke St.). In 2006, the Library moved to 850 Costley Way.

Based in Prince Frederick, the Calvert Library has three branches. First to open was the Twin Beaches Branch at Chesapeake Beach in 1981. Later that same year, the Fairview Branch opened at Owings. The Southern Branch at Lusby opened in 1988.

Maryland Counties
Maryland Municipalities
Maryland Constitutional Offices & Agencies
Maryland Departments
Maryland Independent Agencies
Maryland Executive Commissions, Committees, Task Forces, & Advisory Boards
Maryland Universities & Colleges
Maryland at a Glance


Maryland Manual On-Line


Search the Manual
e-mail: mdmanual@mdarchives.state.md.us


This information resource of the Maryland State Archives is presented here for fair use in the public domain. When this material is used, in whole or in part, proper citation and credit must be attributed to the Maryland State Archives. PLEASE NOTE: Rights assessment for associated source material is the responsibility of the user.


Tell Us What You Think About the Maryland State Archives Website!


[ Archives' Home Page  ||  All About Maryland  ||  Maryland Manual On-Line  ||  Reference & Research
||  Search the Archives   ||  Education & Outreach  ||  Archives of Maryland Online ]

Governor     General Assembly    Judiciary     Maryland.Gov

Copyright November 28, 2016 Maryland State Archives