UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND EASTERN SHORE

ORIGIN & FUNCTIONS


The University of Maryland Eastern Shore (UMES) is the research doctoral-granting institution on the Eastern Shore and, since 1890, it has been the land-grant campus of the State. Instruction, research, and service are provided through major academic clusters. These clusters include liberal arts and sciences, agriculture, business, engineering and technology, education, marine and environmental sciences, allied health, hospitality, and special academic services. Degrees are offered in thirty-eight bachelor, fourteen masters, and eight doctoral programs. Some distinctive bachelor degree programs are Agribusiness, Aviation Science, Construction Management, Criminal Justice, Engineering Technology, Environmental Science, Golf Management, Hospitality and Tourism Management, and Rehabilitation Services. Master degrees are offered in Agriculture and Extension Education, Applied Computer Science, Cybersecurity Engineering Technology, Food and Agricultural Sciences, Guidance and Counseling, and Special Education. Doctoral and master degrees are granted in Marine-Estuarine-Environmental Sciences, Pharmaceutical Sciences and Toxicology.

Basic and applied research covers International and Domestic Agriculture Sciences, Marine and Environmental Sciences, and Computer and Mathematical Sciences. Professional accreditation includes Chemistry (ACS); Construction Management (ACCE); Education (NCATE); Human Ecology (ADA); Physical Therapy (CAPTE); and Rehabilitation Service (NCRE). The University is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education.

The Eastern Shore campus of the University System of Maryland had diverse affiliations and several names before becoming the University of Maryland Eastern Shore (UMES) at Princess Anne in 1970. The institution was founded in 1886 by the leaders of the Delaware Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church as the Delaware Conference Academy for Negroes, under the general control of Centenary Bible Institute in Baltimore. By the second Morrill Act of 1890, the Academy received federal funds and was renamed the Princess Anne Academy. This funding created a relationship with the then Maryland Agricultural College, although the campus continued to be a part of Morgan College, at the time, a private institution. College level work began at Princess Anne in 1927. The State authorized purchase of the Academy in 1935 (Chapter 548, Acts of 1935) and, in 1936, Princess Anne Academy became part of the University of Maryland, bearing the name of Maryland State College from 1948 until 1970. In 1970, the College was renamed University of Maryland Eastern Shore and, in 1988, it joined the University of Maryland System (Chapter 246, Acts of 1988). The System was renamed University System of Maryland in 1997 (Chapter 114, Acts of 1997).

Today, the University of Maryland Eastern Shore is home to five schools: Agricultural and Natural Sciences; Business and Technology; Education, Social Sciences and the Arts; Graduate Studies; and Pharmacy and Health Professions.


SCHOOL OF AGRICULTURAL & NATURAL SCIENCES

Richard Hazel Hall, Room 3052, University of Maryland Eastern Shore, Princess Anne, MD 21853

The School of Agricultural and Natural Sciences includes three academic departments: Agriculture, Food and Resource Sciences; Human Ecology; and Natural Sciences.

SCHOOL OF BUSINESS & TECHNOLOGY

Engineering & Aviation Sciences Complex, Room 3087, University of Maryland Eastern Shore, Princess Anne, MD 21853

Five departments make up the School of Business and Technology: Business, Management, and Accounting; Engineering and Aviation Sciences; Hospitality and Tourism Management; Mathematics and Computer Science; and Technology.

The Department of Hospitality and Tourism Management originated as the Department of Hotel and Restaurant Management.

SCHOOL OF EDUCATION, SOCIAL SCIENCES & THE ARTS

Richard Hazel Hall, Suite 2051, University of Maryland Eastern Shore, Princess Anne, MD 21853 - 1299

In 1992, the School of Arts and Sciences and the School of Professional Studies were two separate institutions. In 1997, they merged to form the School of the Arts and Professions. Effective July 1, 2016, the School was renamed the School of Education, Social Sciences and the Arts.

Within the School of Education, Social Sciences and the Arts are five departments: Criminal Justice; Education; English and Modern Languages; Fine Arts; and Social Sciences.

SCHOOL OF GRADUATE STUDIES

Engineering & Aviation Sciences Complex, Suites 3041-3046, University of Maryland Eastern Shore, Princess Anne, MD 21853 - 1299

SCHOOL OF PHARMACY & HEALTH PROFESSIONS

Somerset Hall, Suite 122, University of Maryland Eastern Shore, Princess Anne, MD 21853

The School of Pharmacy and Health Professions was established as the School of Health Professions on July 1, 2005. It reformed under its present name in 2008.

The School includes five departments: Exercise Science; Pharmacy; Physical Therapy; Physician Assistant; and Rehabilitation Services.

University System of Maryland
Maryland Constitutional Offices & Agencies
Maryland Departments
Maryland Independent Agencies
Maryland Executive Commissions, Committees, Task Forces, & Advisory Boards
Maryland Universities & Colleges
Maryland Counties
Maryland Municipalities
Maryland at a Glance


Maryland Manual On-Line

Search the Manual
e-mail: mdmanual@mdarchives.state.md.us


This information resource of the Maryland State Archives is presented here for fair use in the public domain. When this material is used, in whole or in part, proper citation and credit must be attributed to the Maryland State Archives. PLEASE NOTE: Rights assessment for associated source material is the responsibility of the user.


Tell Us What You Think About the Maryland State Archives Website!


[ Archives' Home Page  ||  All About Maryland  ||  Maryland Manual On-Line  ||  Reference & Research
||  Search the Archives   ||  Education & Outreach  ||  Archives of Maryland Online ]

Governor     General Assembly    Judiciary     Maryland.Gov

Copyright May 15, 2017 Maryland State Archives