UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND MEDICAL SYSTEM CORPORATION

ORIGIN & FUNCTIONS


[photo, Homer S. Gudelsky Building, University of Maryland Medical System, South Greene St., Baltimore, Maryland] In 1823, the University of Maryland Medical System originated as the Baltimore Infirmary formed by the faculty of the University of Maryland School of Medicine. The Infirmary became the University of Maryland Hospital in 1897. Formerly a State institution, University Hospital, in 1984 affiliated with the University of Maryland Medical System. The System was established in 1984 as a private, nonprofit corporation (Chapter 288, Acts of 1984). It reformed as University of Maryland Medical System Corporation in 1996.

The University of Maryland Medical System provides inpatient and outpatient care, medical education, community health services, and emergency medical treatment in Baltimore and the surrounding area.

Homer S. Gudelsky Building, University of Maryland Medical System, South Greene St., Baltimore, Maryland, February 2005. Photo by Diane F. Evartt.


Although it established the University of Maryland Medical Center (UMMS) as an ostensibly private corporation, the General Assembly ensured that the State would continue to play a prominent role in the System's governance in that it required that the UMMS's articles of incorporation and the initial transfer of assets from the State be approved by the Board of Public Works, the voting members of the Board are Governor's appointees, and there is continuing operational coordination between UMMS and the University; in addition, it is required to continue as teaching hospital for the University and to enter annual contracts with the University with limited authority to establish nonprofit or for-profit subsidiaries (98 Opinions of the Attorney General 114, November 21, 2003).

Components of the University of Maryland Medical System include:
University of Maryland Medical Center (including R Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Center, Marlene and Stewart Greenebaum Cancer Center, Mt. Washington Pediatric Hospital, University of Maryland Hospital for Children, University of Maryland Medical Center Midtown Campus)

University of Maryland Baltimore-Washington Medical Center
University of Maryland Rehabilitation and Orthopaedic Institute (including Schaefer Rehabilitation Center)
University of Maryland Charles Regional Medical Center
University of Maryland Shore Regional Health (including University of Maryland Shore Medical Centers at Chestertown, Dorchester & Easton)
University of Maryland St. Joseph Medical Center; and
Upper Chesapeake Health System (including Harford Memorial Hospital & Upper Chesapeake Medical Center).

BOARD OF DIRECTORS

The University of Maryland Medical System Corporation is governed by the Board of Directors. The Board consists of between twenty-two and twenty-seven voting members appointed to five-year terms by the Governor. Ex officio, five are nonvoting members. The Board elects the Chief Executive Officer of the Corporation (Code Education Article, sec. 13-304).


UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND BALTIMORE-WASHINGTON MEDICAL CENTER

301 Hospital Drive, Glen Burnie, MD 21061

The University of Maryland Baltimore-Washington Medical Center originated in July 1965 as the North Arundel Hospital with 107 beds. As the North Arundel Health System, which joined the University of Maryland Medical System in July 2000. It reformed as the Baltimore-Washington Medical System in July 2005 and adopted its present name in July 2013.

Based in Anne Arundel County, the Baltimore-Washington Medical Center is a 319-bed hospital, which provides medical, surgical, critical and sub-acute care; emergency services; inpatient psychiatric services; and gynecological and pediatric services. Additionally, it houses a cardiac catheterization laboratory, a sleep center, a diabetes center, and a wound-healing center.

In March 2003, the Tate Cancer Center opened at Baltimore-Washington Medical Center to provide patients with comprehensive care before, during, and after cancer treatment. Providing a full range of treatment options for vascular disease, the Maryland Vascular Center opened in November 2003.


UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND CHARLES REGIONAL MEDICAL CENTER

5 Garrett Ave., La Plata, MD 20646

The University of Maryland Charles Regional Medical Center originated as Physician's Memorial Hospital which was founded in 1939. In Charles County, the Hospital reformed as Civista Health System in 1998. The System jointed the University of Maryland Medical System in 2011 and received its present name in July 2013.

The Medical Center is a 124-bed acute-care community hospital, and operates an ambulatory surgery center, and OB/GYN Centers in Waldorf and La Plata.


UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND MEDICAL CENTER

22 South Greene St., Baltimore, MD 21201

The University of Maryland Medical Center originated in 1823 as the Baltimore Infirmary formed by the faculty of the University of Maryland School of Medicine. The Infirmary became the University of Maryland Hospital in 1897 and affiliated with the University of Maryland Medical System in 1984. Often called University Hospital, it was reorganized as the University of Maryland Medical Center in 1998.

The Center provides patient care, education, and research. It is a regional referral center for cardiac care, high-risk obstetrics and neonatology, oncology, neuro care, pediatrics, transplant and women's health services. In addition, the Center remains the primary teaching hospital for the University of Maryland School of Medicine. All of the Center's physicians are faculty members at the University of Maryland School of Medicine.

Some 656 beds are maintained by the Center, which includes the R Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Center; the Marlene and Stewart Greenebaum Cancer Center; and the University of Maryland Hospital for Children.

R ADAMS COWLEY SHOCK TRAUMA CENTER
22 South Greene St., Baltimore, MD 21201

The R Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Center was founded in 1961 as the clinical hub of the Maryland Institute of Emergency Medical Services Systems. Following the reorganization of the Institute in 1993, the Center continues under the management of the University of Maryland Medical System.

The first center to offer modern trauma medicine and care, the Cowley Shock Trauma Center is Maryland's primary adult trauma center. It treats patients with severe multiple trauma, and head and spine injuries.

MARLENE & STEWART GREENEBAUM CANCER CENTER
22 South Greene St., Room N9E21, Baltimore, MD 21201

The Marlene and Stewart Greenebaum Cancer Center was formed in 1965 as the Baltimore Cancer Research Center of the National Cancer Institute. It affiliated with the University of Maryland Medical System under contractual arrangement in 1974, and was renamed the Baltimore Cancer Research program in 1978. The Program became the University of Maryland Cancer Center in 1981 and was renamed the Marlene and Stewart Greenebaum Cancer Center in 1996.

The Center is the focus of cancer treatment and research within the School of Medicine of the University of Maryland at Baltimore, and the University of Maryland Medical System.

MT. WASHINGTON PEDIATRIC HOSPITAL
1708 West Rogers Ave., Baltimore, MD 21209

Founded in 1922 as Happy Hills Convalescent Home for Children, Mt. Washington Pediatric Hospital incorporated under its present name in 1974. The Hospital affiliated with North Arundel Medical System in 1996, and became part of the University of Maryland Medical System in July 2000.

The Hospital offers inpatient, outpatient and home-based care, as well as day programs for infants and children with complex medical needs or rehabilitation after illness, injury, or surgery. The Hospital also maintains a 15-bed satellite facility at Prince George's Hospital Center in Cheverly (Prince George's County).

UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND HOSPITAL FOR CHILDREN
22 South Greene St., Baltimore, MD 21201

University of Maryland Hospital for Children provides inpatient and outpatient care for children from the age of infants through adolescents. The Hospital maintains pediatric floors at the University of Maryland Medical Center and at Mercy Hospital in Baltimore, as well as at other locations throughout Maryland.

UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND MEDICAL CENTER MIDTOWN CAMPUS
827 Linden Ave., Baltimore, MD 21201

The University of Maryland Medical Center Midtown Campus began in 1881 as a teaching hospital for Baltimore Medical College. In 1901, the College transferred ownership to the Sisters of Charity, a Catholic Order. Management of the Hospital was assumed by the Methodist Church in 1911 and became Methodist Hospital Association. In 1948, Methodist Hospital Association was renamed Maryland General Hospital. In 1965, Maryland General Hospital and the Baltimore Eye, Ear, Nose, and Throat Hospital merged and, in 1999, affiliated with the University of Maryland Medical System. That affiliation in 1999 renamed the merged institutions as Maryland General Health Systems, a comprehensive health care network managed through Maryland General Hospital. In June 2013, it received its present name under the University of Maryland Medical Center.

The Campus has 208 beds and offers residency programs for physicians in internal medicine, opthalmology, and otolaryngology.


UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND REHABILITATION & ORTHOPAEDIC INSTITUTE

2200 Kernan Drive, Baltimore, MD 21207

The University of Maryland Rehabilitation and Orthopaedic Institute provides inpatient and outpatient programs for children and adults with orthopedic and neurological conditions. With 144 beds, the Institute is the designated orthopedic hospital of the University of Maryland Medical System. The Hospital maintains surgical specialties in orthopedics, dental services, plastic and reconstructive surgery, and pediatric ear, nose and throat problems. The Institute also offers a range of comprehensive rehabilitation services for conditions, including brain injury, scoliosis, spinal cord injury, and stroke and multiple sclerosis.

Located on the western border of Baltimore, adjoining Baltimore County, the Institute originated in 1895 as the Hospital for Crippled and Deformed Children. It was renamed James Lawrence Kernan Hospital in 1916, and became affiliated in 1985 with the University of Maryland Medical System. In 1995, Kernan Hospital legally merged with the Montebello Rehabilitation Center (formerly under the Department of Health and Mental Hygiene). In July 2013, it adopted its present name.

WILLIAM DONALD SCHAEFER REHABILITATION CENTER
2200 North Forest Park Ave., Baltimore, MD 21207

At the University of Maryland Rehabilitation and Orthopaedic Institute, the William Donald Schaefer Rehabilitation Center began in April 1996. Previously, it had been the Montebello Rehabilitation Center, formerly part of the Department of Health and Mental Hygiene.

The Schaefer Rehabilitation Center is a 128-bed inpatient rehabilitation center. It treats patients with stroke, traumatic brain injuries, and spinal-cord disorders caused by trauma or multiple sclerosis. The Center provides physical, occupational and recreational therapy, speech and language therapy, and psychological and behavioral services. A subacute, transitional rehabilitation unit opened at the Center in 1996.


UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND ST. JOSEPH MEDICAL CENTER

7601 Osler Drive, Towson, MD 21204

The University of Maryland St. Joseph Medical Center was founded in 1864 by the Sisters of St. Francis of Philadelphia. It incorporated in 1870 as St. Joseph German Hospital and, by 1872, was called St. Joseph Hospital. In 1981, the Hospital joined the Franciscan Health System. Renamed St. Joseph Medical Center in 1996, it affiliated with Catholic Health Initiatives. In December 2012, it was acquired by the University of Maryland Medical System and received its present name.

The Center is a 263-bed, acute-care hospital. It serves patients in eleven units: critical care; gynecology and obstetrics; medical and surgical care; pediatrics; open-heart surgery; and psychiatry. The Center continues to oberserve a religious mission and Catholic traditions.


UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND SHORE REGIONAL HEALTH

219 South Washington St., Easton, MD 21601

University of Maryland Shore Regional Health formed in 1996 as Shore Health System from the affiliation of Dorchester General Hospital in Cambridge and The Memorial Hospital at Easton. It merged with the University of Maryland Medical System in July 2006. In July 2013, it merged with Chester River Health System under its present name. It manages facilities in Caroline, Dorchester, Kent, Queen Anne's and Talbot Counties.

Under the system are the University of Maryland Chester River Home Care and Hospice, the University of Maryland Shore Nursing and Rehabilitation Center at Chestertown, and University of Maryland Shore Medical Centers at Chestertown, Dorchester, and Easton.

UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND CHESTER RIVER HOME CARE & HOSPICE
100 Brown St., Chestertown, MD 21061

University of Maryland Chester River Home Care and Hospice originated as a program of the Kent County Health Department. In 1997, the program reformed under its present name and was acquired by Kent and Queen Anne's Hospital in partnership with Bay Area Health Care. In 1999, Chester River Home Care and Hospice joined Chester River Health System.

In-home nursing and rehabilitation services are provided by Chester River Home Care and Hospice to individuals after an accident, illness, or surgery. The hospice program offers personalized care and outreach to patients and their families.

UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND SHORE NURSING & REHABILITATION CENTER AT CHESTERTOWN
200 Morgenec Rd. Chestertown, MD 21620

In 1970, University of Maryland Shore Nursing and Rehabilitation Center at Chestertown started as Magnolia Hall Rehabilitation and Nursing Center. It joined the Chesapeake River Health System in 1999 and became Chester River Manor in 2004. In July 2013, it adopted its present name.

The Center is a 98-bed nursing and rehabilitation center. It also provides long-term care to residents unable to care for themselves at home.

UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND SHORE MEDICAL CENTER AT CHESTERTOWN
100 Brown St., Chestertown, MD 21061

University of Maryland Shore Medical Center at Chestertown was established in 1935 as Kent and Queen Anne's Hospital. The Hospital affiliated with the Chester River Health System in 1997 and reorganized as Chester River Hospital Center in 2003. In July 2013, after the merger of Shore Health System and Chester River Health System, it received its present name.

A 53-bed acute care hospital, the Center provides inpatient medical services, 24-hour emergency care, surgical services, laboratory and outpatient diagnostic services, and oncology services. It also offers maternity services to expectant and new mothers, and rehabilitation services.

UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND SHORE MEDICAL CENTER AT DORCHESTER
300 Byrn St., Cambridge, MD 21613

Providing acute hospital and emergency care, the University of Maryland Shore Medical Center at Dorchester maintains 66 beds for inpatient treatment. In addition, it offers comprehensive mental health and substance abuse programs, as well as cardiac rehabilitation.

UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND SHORE MEDICAL CENTER AT EASTON
219 South Washington St., Easton, MD 21601

The University of Maryland Shore Medical Center at Easton includes a 140-bed acute care facility for general hospital, emergency and specialized services. Within the Center, the Requard Center for Acute Rehabilitation offers a 20-bed center providing acute nursing care, specially trained physicians, and occupational and speech therapy for adults recovering from injuries, surgery, and illnesses.


UPPER CHESAPEAKE HEALTH

500 Upper Chesapeake Drive, Bel Air, MD 21014

Upper Chesapeake Health was formed in 1984 from the merger of Harford Memorial Hospital in Havre de Grace and Upper Chesapeake Medical Center in Bel Air. It joined the University of Maryland Medical System in 2011.

Under Upper Chesapeake Health are Harford Memorial Hospital, and Upper Chesapeake Medical Center.

Maryland Constitutional Offices & Agencies
Maryland Departments
Maryland Independent Agencies
Maryland Executive Commissions, Committees, Task Forces, & Advisory Boards
Maryland Universities & Colleges
Maryland Counties
Maryland Municipalities
Maryland at a Glance


Maryland Manual On-Line

Search the Manual
e-mail: mdmanual@mdarchives.state.md.us


This information resource of the Maryland State Archives is presented here for fair use in the public domain. When this material is used, in whole or in part, proper citation and credit must be attributed to the Maryland State Archives. PLEASE NOTE: Rights assessment for associated source material is the responsibility of the user.


Tell Us What You Think About the Maryland State Archives Website!


[ Archives' Home Page  ||  All About Maryland  ||  Maryland Manual On-Line  ||  Reference & Research
||  Search the Archives   ||  Education & Outreach  ||  Archives of Maryland Online ]

Governor     General Assembly    Judiciary     Maryland.Gov

Copyright March 09, 2017 Maryland State Archives